And we're back!

Main Menu

German town to send refugees to the camps

Started by Syt, January 14, 2015, 04:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2015, 02:08:01 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2015, 02:06:06 PM
Prefab homes are at least fabricated with a home in mind. They have the proportions of a home, they have the internal arrangements of a home. You really need to have in mind how narrow a shipping container is. You can probably make some fancypants hip home putting a few together and cutting off the inner walls to give breathing space, but the ones in the photo are not that.

The ones I saw were prefab apartments (flats  :secret:), not detached homes.  And they looked very similar in size to containers.

I believe they're going up in NYC.

Googled up the NYC ones, and they are pretty shitty too - and intended to be temp housing. This guy shares my thoughts, at least:

http://www.globalconreview.com/innovation/new-york-unveils-homes-you-hope-36youll-never8653/

And I have seen modular flats that look more habitable than that model.

Admiral Yi

Of course they're shitty.  Nothing is going to make living in a shipping container fabulous.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2015, 02:21:24 PM
Of course they're shitty.  Nothing is going to make living in a shipping container fabulous.

Well, that's what I was trying to say all along. Meh, I can understand the NYC plan of having these ready for emergencies, but erecting entire neighborhoods of the stuff and pass it as "student housing"? I'm not saying students should all live in fabulous flats - I didn't - but it seems to me the standards are being drastically reduced.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2015, 11:50:10 AM
They get to live in the guards' quarters.  Not sure what the big deal is.

I had an ancestor who died in those camps. He fell out of the guard tower.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 14, 2015, 02:50:04 PM

OSHA! :mad:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 14, 2015, 02:50:04 PM

Couldn't afford decent housing?

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2015, 02:08:01 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2015, 02:06:06 PM
Prefab homes are at least fabricated with a home in mind. They have the proportions of a home, they have the internal arrangements of a home. You really need to have in mind how narrow a shipping container is. You can probably make some fancypants hip home putting a few together and cutting off the inner walls to give breathing space, but the ones in the photo are not that.

The ones I saw were prefab apartments (flats  :secret:), not detached homes.  And they looked very similar in size to containers.

I believe they're going up in NYC.
Is this part of the recent trend towards "Tiny Houses"?

garbon

You underestimate the abilities of glitter and good window valances. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 03:13:16 PM
You underestimate the abilities of glitter and good window valances. ^_^

Tough to underestimate its ability if I don't know what the fuck a valance is.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2015, 02:29:51 PM

Well, that's what I was trying to say all along. Meh, I can understand the NYC plan of having these ready for emergencies, but erecting entire neighborhoods of the stuff and pass it as "student housing"? I'm not saying students should all live in fabulous flats - I didn't - but it seems to me the standards are being drastically reduced.

As far as the size going, I don't think a shipping container is any smaller than many dorm rooms.  The proportions aren't very good, though, and if there's an intent for the inclusion of a kitchen, well, then the shipping container is really too small.

Quote from: Admiral YiTough to underestimate its ability if I don't know what the fuck a valance is.

Is this worded this way because it's just a hypothetical, or do you really not know what a valance is?