And we're back!

Main Menu

German town to send refugees to the camps

Started by Syt, January 14, 2015, 04:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on January 14, 2015, 12:00:46 PM
Regardless it is a horrible idea.

Disagree.  There are two issues: the refugees feeling insulted, and the world thinking Krauts are insensitive.  We don't know the first, and we already know Krauts are aware of and sensitive to the symbolic issues.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2015, 12:04:46 PM

Disagree.  There are two issues: the refugees feeling insulted, and the world thinking Krauts are insensitive.  We don't know the first, and we already know Krauts are aware of and sensitive to the symbolic issues.

Surely, but I''ll agree to disagree.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2015, 12:04:46 PM

In this case the city administration has expressed surprise at the concerns.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quotewhere Polish prisoners repaired train locomotives.

They fixed the steering wheels.

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on January 14, 2015, 07:54:31 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2015, 04:25:43 AM
Honestly, as creepy as it may be, if the alternative is living in a shipping container I'd rather take the barracks.

Plenty of people here live in shipping containers, mostly students. They're not that bad.

This is awful. I lived in some crummy holes when I was a student, but they didn't have a patch on a condo made out of shipping containers with windows attached.

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2015, 01:29:55 PM
This is awful. I lived in some crummy holes when I was a student, but they didn't have a patch on a condo made out of shipping containers with windows attached.

Building with shipping containers is, apparently, a fairly hot architectural trend these days.

I'm not sure how you can determine they're crummy without seeing what they're like inside. I'm pretty sure they're done up just as nice as regular apartments (drywall, plumbing, electricity, finishing etc). What exactly is your objection?

celedhring

Well, they're less than 3m wide, for starters, and all in all they're probably less than 20-30m2. You have to cram a bed, plumbing, have enough space to move around, etc... I just can't see how those in the photo can be considered decent dwelling.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2015, 12:29:07 PM
Quotewhere Polish prisoners repaired train locomotives.

They fixed the steering wheels.

C'mon, you assholes.  That was comedy gold.  Gold, Jerry!

Admiral Yi

The containers remind me a bit of the microapartments I read about in the NYT Sunday Magazine.  Prefabricated, then you stack them with a crane.

Seedy: yes, quite good.  Seriously.  Now please don't repeat it 100 times.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2015, 01:57:01 PM

I have nothing else to do.   :(

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2015, 01:57:45 PM
I have nothing else to do.   :(

You could always torment some poster into leaving Languish.  :)

CountDeMoney

Nobody's left except all the hard cases.  And Martinus.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2015, 01:57:01 PM
The containers remind me a bit of the microapartments I read about in the NYT Sunday Magazine.  Prefabricated, then you stack them with a crane.

Prefab homes are at least fabricated with a home in mind. They have the proportions of a home, they have the internal arrangements of a home. You really need to have in mind how narrow a shipping container is. You can probably make some fancypants hip home putting a few together and cutting off the inner walls to give breathing space, put a larger window on the longer side so you don't have suicidal thoughts when you wake up in the morning... but the ones in the photo are not that.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2015, 02:06:06 PM
Prefab homes are at least fabricated with a home in mind. They have the proportions of a home, they have the internal arrangements of a home. You really need to have in mind how narrow a shipping container is. You can probably make some fancypants hip home putting a few together and cutting off the inner walls to give breathing space, but the ones in the photo are not that.

The ones I saw were prefab apartments (flats  :secret:), not detached homes.  And they looked very similar in size to containers.

I believe they're going up in NYC.

MadBurgerMaker

It's probably just like living in an RV or a trailer.