May 2015 UK General Election Campaign.

Started by mongers, January 09, 2015, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2015, 11:25:32 AM
How about this?

:P

:lol:

On a more serious note, though, that map illustrates the problem, in a way; just what regions could/should be used for devolution. I live in Northamptonshire, officially a part of the East Midlands, technically a part of Mercia.

Take a look at the regional television map and guess which region I feel closest too in my personal identity...

http://www.itvmedia.co.uk/new-to-itv/itv-regions
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Why is Millibrand the Labour leader? I thought Gordon Brown was a good dude. Why couldn't he do a comeback?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Agelastus

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2015, 11:38:20 AM
The green one in the middle?

When I was very young I did live in a house where the aerial could pick up both Central and Anglia; for the last thirty years though the ITV region's been Anglia and solely Anglia.

I feel utterly unattached to both the East Midlands or Mercia as a result despite what the maps and regions suggest.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Habbaku

Quote from: Agelastus on March 16, 2015, 11:32:28 AM
How about this?

On a more serious note, though, that map illustrates the problem, in a way; just what regions could/should be used for devolution. I live in Northamptonshire, officially a part of the East Midlands, technically a part of Mercia.

Take a look at the regional television map and guess which region I feel closest too in my personal identity...

Was it necessary to quote the picture again?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on March 16, 2015, 12:22:43 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on March 16, 2015, 11:32:28 AM
How about this?

Was it necessary to quote the picture again?

Personally, I like it.

Tamas

Also, I am raising my eyebrows every time a Brit blames financial trickeries for their country's problems. As I understand the only reason the UK's economy is not in a dump is that it has been the favourite playground of EU rule-bending bankers since the 70s :P

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on March 16, 2015, 10:40:53 AM
Yeah. On the other hand, if eg. Amazon's "tax evasion" (IDK if doing something perfectly legal in the EU is tax evasion) results in them being able to offer the cheapest and fastest service to customers, then maybe it isnt that Luxembourg's taxes are low, but rather, the others are high?

No. I'll quote myself from another thread:

Quote from: Zanza on November 11, 2013, 04:28:40 PM
Quote from: Threviel on November 11, 2013, 03:55:39 PM
Or Spain could compete with Ireland on lowering corporate taxes. But of course, much easier to punish Ireland than to change something in Spain.
Ireland can afford the low corporate tax rate for reasons that Spain and other countries cannot emulate and can never compete on.

Ireland has just 4.6 million people to Spain's 46 million people. So let's assume that Spain roughly needs ten times the government revenue that Ireland needs.

There is a finite number of multi-national corporations in the world and they typically need just one HQ in the EU due to it being a common market.

As Ireland just needs a tenth of Spain's government revenue it can compensate a low tax rate for its domestic corporations by enticing a higher than proportional number of multi-nationals to open shop in Ireland and paying taxes there.

Spain cannot do that as it will never be able to attract enough multi-nationals to offset the loss in tax revenue for lowering the tax rate for its domestic companies to match Ireland's low rate.

And if you look beyond Spain, Ireland has less than 1% of the EU population. For simplicity sake, let's assume the EU was perfectly equal in tax revenues and government expenditures. If a tiny piece of the EU attracts a lot of multi-nationals through a low corporate tax rate, the other 99% of the EU can't just lower their tax rate accordingly and hope for multi-nationals to somehow materialize out of nowhere and start paying taxes to compensate. Mainly because there just aren't that many multi-nationals.

Ireland is only in this position thanks to their membership in the EU. But they exploit that by establishing a policy that the bigger EU countries cannot enact themselves. The only other countries that can compete on this policy are typically considered tax havens as well, e.g. Luxembourg.

And to suggest that Amazon's logistics have anything to do with its tax domicile in the EU is ridiculous. They aren't exactly sending out the stuff you get from Luxembourg. That's done from local warehouses.

Valmy

The States in the US play the same game with places like Delaware having a hilariously large number of corporate HQs. However at least the other states all get sweet federal money to assuage their rage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

In Tamas' ideology a vicious circle mechanism like this that ultimately destroys tax revenue for the benefit of the rich (corporate owners) is probably something good. Starve the government of money and it can do less "harm" as he sees it.

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on March 16, 2015, 12:56:17 PM
In Tamas' ideology a vicious circle mechanism like this that ultimately destroys tax revenue for the benefit of the rich (corporate owners) is probably something good. Starve the government of money and it can do less "harm" as he sees it.

Thanks for telling us what Tamas thinks and sees.  If not for you, we'd have to take his own biased word on what he thinks... or, at least, what he thinks he thinks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza on March 16, 2015, 12:56:17 PM

My point was that Amazon gets a competitive advantage because it pays less tax than smaller competitors who can't afford to go to tax-manipulating Luxembourg.

So, MAYBE, if everyone was as lenient on corporations as Luxembourg is via its trickery, then the positive effect on corporate growth and heavier competition would outweight the negative of less tax money for the state to play with.

Zanza

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on March 16, 2015, 12:38:17 PM
Also, I am raising my eyebrows every time a Brit blames financial trickeries for their country's problems. As I understand the only reason the UK's economy is not in a dump is that it has been the favourite playground of EU rule-bending bankers since the 70s :P

Assuming that's true (it isn't) which UK policies encourage banks to HQ here rather than Frankfurt or Paris?

Valmy

Or maybe corporate taxes could be assessed and distributed on the EU level  :ph34r:

Haha just kidding.