And we're back!

Main Menu

May 2015 UK General Election Campaign.

Started by mongers, January 09, 2015, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 14, 2015, 01:30:53 AM
Quote from: Gups on March 11, 2015, 06:13:53 AM
I really thought that Cameron ducking the debates was very poor political thinking by him and his team and expected a drop of a couple of points in the polls for the Tories. Instead, there's been a pretty clear shirt from a slight Labour lead to a slight Tory one. Shows what I know.

Nevertheless, I'm currently calling it for the Tories- as biggest party rather than with a majority. My prediction:

Tories: 36%
Labour: 32%
UKIP: 13%
Lib Dems: 8%
Greens: 4%

I anticipate SNP support falling away from its current peak but them still dominating, getting 35-40 seats although I must admit there's no good reason to think this.

Just curious, but why doesn't SNP show up in the polling?

That's my prediction rather than a poll.

However, the SNP won't show up in a lot of national polls in any event. I guess because the sample size of Scottish voters within a national poll is too small. Much better to look at specific Scottish polls where the SNP is doing very well indeed.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Agelastus on March 16, 2015, 01:11:12 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 15, 2015, 07:04:28 PM
The functional kitchenette is allegedly for the live-in nanny! :o

Oh dear; I don't think an "Upstairs, Downstairs" vibe really helps Milliband here.

No doubt the media can now spend several days pondering the race and nationality of the live-in nanny. It's like living in a crappy C5 soap opera  :mad:

Syt

Questions to Brits: regardless of Milliband's awkwardness as a human being, is he a capable politician at least, so that you could disregard his, uhm, quirks?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Speaking for my limited circle, people seem to increasingly think that he is a decent person but the doubts about his competence are growing.

Gups

Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2015, 03:47:52 AM
Questions to Brits: regardless of Milliband's awkwardness as a human being, is he a capable politician at least, so that you could disregard his, uhm, quirks?

I  have some respect for the fact that he has managed to retain party unity in opposition and has been stubbornly resilient throughout, refusing to panic when under quite relentless attack. He was an OK Sec of State for Energy and came out of the Parliamentary Expenses fiasco smelling of roses.

On the other hand, his presentational ability is utterly woeful ad he has signally failed to give his party any sense of strategic direction. A few crappy populist policies here and there (mansion tax, energy capping) but otherwise no real sense of what the Labour party is for. 

Gups

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 13, 2015, 07:48:06 PM
My vote is up for grabs, any party that announces "given that the rate of household formation in the UK is 250k per annum we plan to increase housebuilding from 110k a year to 300k a year" will get my vote.

Meh, anyone can promise that. Putting the policies in place to achieve it is a very different matter. They basically require some combination of scrapping local democratic input into planning decisions, ending the green belt and allowing urban sprawl or significant public subsidies for house builders.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Gups on March 16, 2015, 04:17:08 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 13, 2015, 07:48:06 PM
My vote is up for grabs, any party that announces "given that the rate of household formation in the UK is 250k per annum we plan to increase housebuilding from 110k a year to 300k a year" will get my vote.

Meh, anyone can promise that. Putting the policies in place to achieve it is a very different matter. They basically require some combination of scrapping local democratic input into planning decisions, ending the green belt and allowing urban sprawl or significant public subsidies for house builders.

You are quite right, a mere announcement is insufficient, a properly worked-out policy is necessary......I mis-spoke  :P

You also said "a few crappy populist policies here and there (mansion tax, energy capping) but otherwise no real sense of what the Labour party is for", I thoroughly agree with this and think that it is why the SNP have hoovered up the Labour votes. Unless Labour get some decent leftish policies on the table then their votes are ripe for the taking by a usurper party.

PJL

I think part of the problem is that Ed's been TOO good at trying to maintain party unity. Had he been a bit more bold and ruffled more feathers in his first couple of years, he could have repositioned Labour as somewhere between New & Old Labour, and been better able to stop the threat from Greens & the SNP.

Tamas

How valid old style leftism is by now, anyways? "We need more spending. More spending is what we need. Higher taxes, too." Would that really win the election?

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on March 16, 2015, 08:08:40 AM
How valid old style leftism is by now, anyways? "We need more spending. More spending is what we need. Higher taxes, too." Would that really win the election?

Taxes on the rich, not you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Martinus

Well, I think there should be a 100% inheritance tax, with a certain tax free amount (say, $100,000).

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on March 16, 2015, 08:14:17 AM
Well, I think there should be a 100% inheritance tax, with a certain tax free amount (say, $100,000).

Have you asked your parents about this?

I mean, surely there must be some human beings who are able to explain to you how that goes against all human instincts on leaving a legacy or just leaving something behind for your family.

Valmy

This is possibly the stupidest idea I have ever heard. Everybody with any money will flee the country, leaving the middle classes as the only ones to be fucked over by your scheme will the rich just keep getting richer. But I guess that is basically true with all of these sorts of plans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2015, 08:16:44 AM

This is possibly the stupidest idea I have ever heard. Everybody with any money will flee the country, leaving the middle classes as the only ones to be fucked over by your scheme will the rich just keep getting richer. But I guess that is basically true with all of these sorts of plans.

The more centrally planned and redistributed an economy is, the worse it performs, but this is something lost on a lot of people.