Main Menu

May 2015 UK General Election Campaign.

Started by mongers, January 09, 2015, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

You should scroll right on the Hyde Park pic if you haven't already. :lol:

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2015, 12:07:50 PM
Zeit.de uses the election as an excuse to show everyday pictures from the UK from the last 60 years. I have to say the pictures are more interesting than the campaign. :D

I like to imagine some of those pictures show RH or Brazen in their early years. :P

Croydon 1970s

Wow, they're actively grooming the hairstyle that I end up with if I don't wash my hair/it gets wet.
I was born in the wrong era.
Today it just looks crap.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

That particular do has always looked like crap.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 01, 2015, 05:53:37 PM
Civil servants don't know how to navigate the bureaucracy, they are the bureaucracy. It's like praising Cameron for doing so well navigating the class system.

And I've no doubt most civil servants are conscientious, intelligent, well-meaning people. But as an institution they, like any other institution, are jealous of their privileges and power and inherently conservative. They are very difficult to reform, especially if your reform is something that many civil servants either ideologically disagree with them, or an institution it diminishes their power. There is not a post-war administration that has not ended up saying their biggest problem was the civil service - and there isn't really one who went into office with low expectations (possibly Labour '97).

That is certainly the kind of characterization the right wing, minimalist government types would like people to accept.  In my experience the characterization is largely untrue especially within the senior ranks of the civil service.  Perhaps things are different in the UK.

garbon

I learned from my minion today that the UKIP candidate for Tooting is named Przemek Skwirczynski. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2015, 03:09:37 PM
I learned from my minion today that the UKIP candidate for Tooting is named Przemek Skwirczynski. :hmm:

Finally somebody who is going to take a stand and declare 'Britain is for the British' and resist the PC mob.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

I have seen this quite a bit over here, too. Often some of the most virulent anti-immigrant types are second or third generation immigrants themselves.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2015, 03:09:37 PM

:lol:

PJL

For those who are going to watch the results coverage, here's a list of expected declarations from each constituency here:

http://election.pressassociation.com/Declaration_times/general_2015_by_time.php

All times are in GMT, so most of the results should be known by about midnight EST.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2015, 03:23:25 PM
I have seen this quite a bit over here, too. Often some of the most virulent anti-immigrant types are second or third generation immigrants themselves.

In the case of Mr. Skwirczynski, he's actually first gen. I guess he got through the doors and wants to close them behind him?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I'll be watching from the Costa in Gatwick waiting for my flight to the relative political calm of Greece.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: PJL on May 06, 2015, 04:17:53 AM
For those who are going to watch the results coverage, here's a list of expected declarations from each constituency here:

All times are in GMT, so most of the results should be known by about midnight EST.

I wonder why St Ives takes so long.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2015, 07:33:23 AM
Quote from: PJL on May 06, 2015, 04:17:53 AM

I wonder why St Ives takes so long.

I think the Scilly Isles are in that constituency, Scilly by name slightly silly by nature, they probably get their ballot boxes to the returning office by rowboat  :)

Sheilbh

Don't understand the intra-Sunderland contest to report first...
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Are the people of Barking: Barking mad? Or do they have an unusually large number of dogs?