Turkey introduces Ottoman language as mandatory subject at schools

Started by Syt, January 09, 2015, 03:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

That's not too bad.  I saw the British and French deploying cavalry troops in breastplates in various ceremonies all the time.   

celedhring

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on January 13, 2015, 02:58:09 AM
That's not too bad.  I saw the British and French deploying cavalry troops in breastplates in various ceremonies all the time.

I think it is a matter of nuance. If you are having a military parade, especially one celebrating some historical event, then it's fine. If it is a part of a tradition (i.e. it started back when troops actually looked like this and people just continued doing that) then it is also fine.

But when you are doing some ad hoc historical reenactment thing when receiving a foreign dignitary it becomes a bit wacko.

Martinus

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on January 13, 2015, 04:11:12 AM
Merkel should start doing that in state receptions, too.

Replace he bodyguard with the Society of Creative Anachronism?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: celedhring on January 13, 2015, 04:11:12 AM
Merkel should start doing that in state receptions, too.
Maybe we can have some Teutonic Order knights instead of the more usual Bundeswehr honor guard the next time Erdogan visits.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Solmyr

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 13, 2015, 02:21:41 AM
I give it a year before Orban does that :lol:

How long before the inevitable Ottoman-Hungarian war?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Solmyr on January 13, 2015, 10:48:09 AM

Needs Bulgaria and Belgrade first.
Late to the party, but great photo job!  :cheers:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Solmyr on January 13, 2015, 10:48:09 AM

It's true. I'm imagining that Hungary starts it over something very unimportant, with absolutely no support from anyone else in Europe/the World. They lose catastrophically and spend the next 1000 years playing the martyr about it.

My opinion of Hungary is formed solely by Tamas' thread.
Let's bomb Russia!

Solmyr

Also I bet, as an Arab, Abbas was thrilled to be reminded of Turkish empires. :D

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2015, 12:04:44 AM
It's true. I'm imagining that Hungary starts it over something very unimportant, with absolutely no support from anyone else in Europe/the World. They lose catastrophically and spend the next 1000 years playing the martyr about it.

This is Orban's Hungary. He seems more likely to side with Hungary's historic enemies/occupiers.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014