Obama to propose two free years of community college for students

Started by jimmy olsen, January 08, 2015, 07:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on January 12, 2015, 11:32:59 AM
I studied the Franco-Prussian War in high-school. It was even part of the Spanish equivalent of the SAT.

Was the American Mexican War on El SAT as well?

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 11:37:53 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 12, 2015, 11:32:59 AM
I studied the Franco-Prussian War in high-school. It was even part of the Spanish equivalent of the SAT.

Was the American Mexican War on El SAT as well?

No, we pretty much ignore you. Serves you right for stealing our colonies.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on January 12, 2015, 11:48:09 AM

My crazy California Republican uncle has your back, dawg.

"All these fucking dirty Mexicans, blah, blah, blah, hate, hate, hate, Obama, etc."
"Um, it wasn't named 'San Diego' just to be rustic and quaint, you know.  You realize they were there before you, right?"
"No, those were the Spaniards.  Completely different!"

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 11:58:53 AM

"All these fucking dirty Mexicans, blah, blah, blah, hate, hate, hate, Obama, etc."
"Um, it wasn't named 'San Diego' just to be rustic and quaint, you know.  You realize they were there before you, right?"

Though they were in the closet for the longest time, most of my family in Southern California are actually Republicans (well the older generation, my generation is mostly still liberal Obama-lovers <_<). Never was particularly racist though given that nearly all married other races (i.e. Mexicans). :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 11:58:53 AM

Guess I could emigrate there, then!

Ideologue

Good thing people who have sex with members of other races can never be racist.  I've got a Get Out of Liberal Jail Free card for everybody but Latin Americans.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2015, 12:00:56 PM
Though they were in the closet for the longest time, most of my family in Southern California are actually Republicans (well the older generation, my generation is mostly still liberal Obama-lovers <_<). Never was particularly racist though given that nearly all married other races (i.e. Mexicans). :D

What makes it even funnier is, since my aunt is of Portuguese decent, they're all up on the historic genealogy of Portuguese settlement of central California.  But it doesn't involve Mexicans, so I guess that's OK.   :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 12, 2015, 12:07:26 PM
Good thing people who have sex with members of other races can never be racist.  I've got a Get Out of Liberal Jail Free card for everybody but Latin Americans.

:P

I think it would be weird to be married to someone of an ethnic group that you were racist about / that your children were members of. Possible but a bit more unlikely than your posited scenario.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 12:11:28 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2015, 12:00:56 PM

What makes it even funnier is, since my aunt is of Portuguese decent, they're all up on the historic genealogy of Portuguese settlement of central California.  But it doesn't involve Mexicans, so I guess that's OK.   :lol

Portuguese ancestry? Well, even less so than your Irish symbolic side, so meaningless.

Siege

Why do people care so much about ancestry?
I blame it on the internet.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 11:37:25 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 12, 2015, 11:24:58 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 11:03:58 AM

I find the Franco-Prussian War interesting and the accomplishments of the great Bismarck should be taught in high school.

I would have never guessed you would be for teaching the origins of the European welfare state in high school. :hmm:

Hell, I'm for teaching basic financial and money management in high school.

Thought that we did.  At least we did in WV high schools in the late 1970s. 

garbon

Quote from: dps on January 12, 2015, 12:41:55 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 11:37:25 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 12, 2015, 11:24:58 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 11:03:58 AM

I find the Franco-Prussian War interesting and the accomplishments of the great Bismarck should be taught in high school.

I would have never guessed you would be for teaching the origins of the European welfare state in high school. :hmm:

Hell, I'm for teaching basic financial and money management in high school.

Thought that we did.  At least we did in WV high schools in the late 1970s. 

We didn't in MA in the 2000s. :weep:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 12, 2015, 12:21:13 PM
Portuguese ancestry? Well, even less so than your Irish symbolic side, so meaningless.

Please explain.

Syt

We discussed Bismarck at length in history class. As a matter of fact, my teacher was quite the admirer of his foreign politics.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2015, 12:13:07 PM
I think it would be weird to be married to someone of an ethnic group that you were racist about / that your children were members of. Possible but a bit more unlikely than your posited scenario.

Yep.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall