News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Images of a seemingly shocked female hostage who managed to escape in Porte de Vincennes are now shown on French TV.

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 06:58:12 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 06:56:31 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:54:31 PM
Shall we guess it's all sweetness and light, cherry tree blossom, singing folk songs with their teachers, until they leave school and experience the soul destroying experience of having to be an adult?

Sounds like an anime.
I wouldn't mind watching that: leading terrorists as competitive schoolgirls :mellow:

Have you been reading this, perchance...

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/mission_school/
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

mongers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30739509

France eyewitness: 'I shook hands with shooting suspect'

2 hours ago

A salesman, known only as Didier, has told French radio that he shook hands with one of two men holding a hostage in northern France.

The men, suspected of killing 12 people at the offices of Charlie Hebdo on Wednesday, are in a printing business surrounded by police.

Didier claims he was there for a business meeting and mistook a man dressed in a black uniform for a member of the French security services.

The gunman apparently told him: "Go away as we do not kill civilians."

He was speaking on the French public radio station France Info.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

France 24 report:

In a bizarre twist, an article, posted below, reports a meeting between Amedi (sic) Couliby and former president Nicolas Sarkozy in 2009. Couliby, suspected to be the gunman in the second hostage situation, was one of several young people invited to meet the president. At the time, he expressed excitement and said he would be getting autographs for his nine sisters. He joked he would like the president to get him a job.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 09, 2015, 10:29:03 AM
Images of a seemingly shocked female hostage who managed to escape in Porte de Vincennes are now shown on French TV.

I guess I should see if there are live web feeds for the French channels.

France 24 TV English feed here:
http://www.france24.com/en/livefeed/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

France 24 again

Kosher supermarket gunman threatens to kill hostages if police storm the Kouachi brothers currently holding one hostage in a town north of Paris (AP)

Agelastus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 09, 2015, 09:28:24 AM
I like to think I make a principled stand against bigotry.  If blacks are the one's attacked, then I defend the blacks.  If the Muslims are attacked, then I defend the Muslims.  When the gays are attacked, I defend the gays.  When it's people who are religious, then I defend them.  This concept seems to confuse a lot of people here.  The idea that I would defend a hated minority is simply "crazy", "trolling", or "contrarian".

So, since almost any group can be a "hated minority" (even whites, for example) you defend everybody in the world regardless of the right or wrong of the situation? You don't consider the facts or issues of the case, you just jump to the defence of the "attacked" party automatically?

That's not "trolling" or "contrarian" but it could very well be "crazy".

I think a phrase along the lines of "he who defends everybody convinces nobody" might be appropriate here.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Martinus

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the French special forces. Hopefully they will find a way not to end this crisis Russian style while not letting the fuckers get away.

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on January 09, 2015, 10:40:19 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the French special forces. Hopefully they will find a way not to end this crisis Russian style while not letting the fuckers get away.

The GIGN are competent. Below is a clip of them retaking a hijacked Air France flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7a5D3sMJKM
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Martinus

Damn, because of BB, I now started to misread the thread title too. :P

That's one of the deficiencies of English - the "adjective chains" can be confusing in situations like this. For example that wouldn't be an issue in Polish as depending on the meaning of the sentence, the syntax would be different.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança

On TV, Smoke grenade use in Dammartin and fire weapon flashes. Assault has started.

Martinus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 09, 2015, 10:59:14 AM
On TV, Smoke grenade use in Dammartin and fire weapon flashes. Assault has started.

I know it is earlier in the thread, but is Dammartin the kosher supermarket location or the Charlie Hebdo's shooters' hideout?

Grey Fox

I think I've never watched TV5 for so long continously.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on January 09, 2015, 11:00:57 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 09, 2015, 10:59:14 AM

I know it is earlier in the thread, but is Dammartin the kosher supermarket location or the Charlie Hebdo's shooters' hideout?

CH shooters.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk