News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 06:34:09 PM
This reminds me what the government said about the previous Christmas attacks, it's only a series of isolated incidents committed by lunatics. One should not stigmatise.
Well they are isolated in a sense. There's no grand plan at work. But all of the recent attacks in France (and the Sidney siege) remind me of school shootings.

It's a different sort of terrorism than strapping a bomb to yourself. I think it's probably more difficult to catch in the early stages and probably more likely to inspire copycat attacks immediately afterwards. As I said before I find the attacks in France, Canada and Australia more unsettling and scary than the London or Madrid bombings.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2015, 05:34:52 PM
Psst, Siege-- use compay and see what he does with that.

Siege chose the Academia Real (sic) and they don't list compay  :contract:
So much for you speaking Castilian and not some latin american "spanish".  :(
Besides, compay is at best for both compadre and compañero so still no synonym, just a a homograph.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 06:51:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:40:00 PMBut what if some of them are brought up to believe that way of conducting yourself is the correct one?

Then that's pretty fucked up. I'd be interested in looking at things that caused someone to be brought up like that. Personally, I expect it's something more nuanced than "Islam."

QuoteI wonder what take Saudi Arabian primary school eduction has on these issues?
I have no idea.

Shall we guess it's all sweetness and light, cherry tree blossom, singing folk songs with their teachers, until they leave school and experience the soul destroying experience of having to be an adult?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:54:31 PM
Shall we guess it's all sweetness and light, cherry tree blossom, singing folk songs with their teachers, until they leave school and experience the soul destroying experience of having to be an adult?

Sounds like an anime.

mongers

In light of this despicable massacre of innocent journalist just doing their job, I'd like to invite one or two posters here to reconsider their attitude towards the killing of A'l-Jazerra journalists in the Afghanistan and during the Iraq invasion.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 06:56:31 PM

Sounds like an anime.
I wouldn't mind watching that: leading terrorists as competitive schoolgirls :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 06:58:12 PM
I wouldn't mind watching that: leading terrorists as competitive schoolgirls :mellow:

I think right now would be a great time to get that on kickstarter.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 06:56:31 PM

Sounds like an anime.

Jacob, I'm not taking you to task, but alluding to the hate-filled Saudi Arabian originated and financed 'educational' material that has found it's way into UK schools.

Based on that I wonder what innocent Saudi children are subjected to in their early years?

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 07:00:25 PM
Jacob, I'm not taking you to task, but alluding to the hate-filled Saudi Arabian originated and financed 'educational' material that has found it's way into UK schools.

Based on that I wonder what innocent Saudi children are subject to in their early years?
Sure, but I don't think it's of very much relevance in France. I'd be amazed if any Saudi material got near French schools.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 02:58:45 PM
How may Islamic fundies does it take to screw in a lightbulb? None, because the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) didnt use them.  And the lamp got blown up by a carbomb anyway. 
WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA ACKBAR

It's no Gaffigan, but I enjoyed it anyways.

Allah pocket.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Based on that I wonder what innocent Saudi children are subjected to in their early years?

I'm not familiar with that material so I'm afraid I can't add much to that.

Warspite

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 06:51:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:40:00 PMBut what if some of them are brought up to believe that way of conducting yourself is the correct one?

Then that's pretty fucked up. I'd be interested in looking at things that caused someone to be brought up like that. Personally, I expect it's something more nuanced than "Islam".

You'll be pleased to know that the people whose job it is to protect us from terrorists and those who seriously study the issue spend a lot of time studying this.

So much of the literature on radicalisation is freely available it's a surprise why a lot of the Internet debate is not itself more nuanced.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:57:41 PM
In light of this despicable massacre of innocent journalist just doing their job, I'd like to invite one or two posters here to reconsider their attitude towards the killing of A'l-Jazerra journalists in the Afghanistan and during the Iraq invasion.

Anyone know what mongers is talking about?  All I can think of are the dude who got zapped in the hotel during the invasion and the other dude that got lit up by an Apache.

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:57:41 PM

Which one? This incident? How are they doing their job? Just because you can say something, doesn't mean you have to say it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 07:07:11 PM

I'm not familiar with that material so I'm afraid I can't add much to that.

This is the opinion of a Saudi exile, who was interviewed in a high profile network news program a while back:

http://www.gulfinstitute.org/this-medieval-saudi-education-system-must-be-reformed-2/

This Medieval Saudi Education System Must Be Reformed

Posted by gulfinstadmin on April 13, 2011
By Ali Al-Ahmed

This week, BBC1's Panorama reported on the Saudi school textbooks used in over 40 Saudi schools in the United Kingdom and Ireland. The investigation found that the books contained messages of hatred, incitement of violence and other reprehensible teachings that are commonly found in the Saudi official religious discourse. I had the pleasure of participating in the programme, providing commentary on the findings.

In my years of work dedicated to promoting modernity and reform in my homeland, I have always given special attention to education as it is the foundation of social values and a major predictor of the direction in which a country is headed. Unfortunately, the Saudi government realised the same thing and has used the education system to shape societal attitudes towards the country's government and the world at large. The primary goal of Saudi education is to maintain the rule of absolute monarchy by casting it as the ordained protector of the faith, and that Islam is at war with other faiths and cultures. That's what the Saudi monarchy calls "intellectual security," maintained yet further by a ban on liberal arts education, philosophy, drama, and music.

Since January 2001, I have been writing about how Saudi religious education is dividing our country's population over the interpretation of Islam, and turning classmates into enemies because some of them view our religion in a different way. Since then, I have reviewed all the religious textbooks used in Saudi schools several times and found them to be comprised of medieval ideological indoctrination instead of offering a modern education that would prepare the student for the workplace.

The current textbooks do not spare most Muslims from the accusations of polytheism, deviance, hypocrisy, and outright apostasy. For example, the 12th grade book on "monotheism" claims that many in the Muslim world community have returned to polytheism. That could be ignored until you know what the texts teach about polytheists. In the classical Takfiri (declaring others to be outside of religion's bounds) style, the text allows for the killing of apostates and polytheists, and it does not take much to qualify as one or the other. Membership in capitalist, communist or secular groups makes you an apostate, and disagreeing with the Wahhabi/Salafi anthropomorphic characterisation of God makes you a polytheist.

The textbooks take a very aggressive stance against Jews and Christians whom it views as unbelievers and eternal enemies of Islam. And if you do not believe, or even doubt, that Christians and Jews are unbelievers, you are an infidel yourself.

Here's the link to the full Guardian article, which includes a link to the tv programme:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2010/nov/26/saudi-arabia-religious-education