And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM
Journalism is getting dangerous. Freedom of the press is one thing, but I'm not sure my principles stretch to regularly stirring up Islamist ire.

I'd have thought freedom of the press, by definition includes allow journalist do do what you've described as "stirring up ..... ire"

It's not your principles that would be stretched, but the very natural and understandable fear that you, as a journalist would be targeted by these terrorists.

Perfectly understandable and I think I'd be with you, in that I'm not sure I'd have the courage to do what these journalists were doing.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Charlie Hebdo had some fixed police guard for a while, after the 2011 arson, then just some regular patrols lately.

To give you a sense of perspective, the attack took place in their HQ which is only a few blocks away from the Bastille district.

Some new details from France 24

QuoteCartoonist Corine Rey, aka "Coco", has told the weekly Humanité that she was the one who, at gunpoint, let the men inside the building of Charlie Hebdo.

"They shot Wolinski, Cabu... it lasted about five minutes... I took cover under a desk... they spoke perfect French... they said they were Al Qaida," Rey was quoted as saying.

Notes:
L'Humanité is the Communist party's official newspaper
Perfect French spoken as a native banlieue accent/dialect speaker from what I've heard on the news.

mongers

Agnes Poirier @AgnesCPoirier    55m
#CharlieHebdo Attack. I have just been asked by AlJazeera if CharlieHebdo journalists should apologize (for making fun at Islamists).

:huh:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 08:41:55 AM
Journalism is getting dangerous. Freedom of the press is one thing, but I'm not sure my principles stretch to regularly stirring up Islamist ire.

I'd have thought freedom of the press, by definition includes allow journalist do do what you've described as "stirring up ..... ire"

It's not your principles that would be stretched, but the very natural and understandable fear that you, as a journalist would be targeted by these terrorists.

Perfectly understandable and I think I'd be with you, in that I'm not sure I'd have the courage to do what these journalists were doing.

I would absolutely republish their cartoons tomorrow if I had a paper or magazine. I've been on death's door before. I am not afraid of them. I have principals that I value, and I won't let them suppress them even under the threat of death.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I just wish that for once the published cartoons (that led to violent reprisals) were actually clever. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 09:04:20 AM
I just wish that for once the published cartoons (that led to violent reprisals) were actually clever. :(

We wish that about your posts every day. :(

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 07, 2015, 08:57:17 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 07, 2015, 08:41:55 AM

I would absolutely republish their cartoons tomorrow if I had a paper or magazine. I've been on death's door before. I am not afraid of them. I have principals that I value, and I won't let them suppress them even under the threat of death.

Laudable sentiment, but just that, sentiment as you live many thousands of miles from the problem.

I'd suggest to you that the reality is these terrorist outrages can lead to self-censorship as Brazen alluded to.

Given the situation in this country, with it's increasing numbers of islamists, I think the gay muslim guy who does a drag act, sometimes in a hijab is particularly courageous. And maintaining the spirit of freedom of expression. I'll see if I can find a link.

celedhring

It's like The Interview, more often than not freedom of expression involves defending the low-hanging fruit. It's easy to defend the great things.

Martinus

It's quite sad that the country of Voltaire would fall victim to this menace.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on January 07, 2015, 09:08:58 AM

It's like The Interview, more often than not freedom of expression involves defending the low-hanging fruit. It's easy to defend the great things.

:yes:

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Drakken

Also, this will surely ensure Marine Le Pen has a real chance to become President.  :ph34r:

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on January 07, 2015, 09:08:58 AM

Maybe but it makes it seem sort of noxious; having to defend what is essentially crap with no actual value except as a lightning rod for freedom.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Legbiter on January 07, 2015, 08:00:55 AM
And Houellebecq's new book Soumission about an Islamicised France is out next Wednesday.

And now this thread has my attention.  (I mean, Islamists shooting people is like "dog bites man."  Let me know when journalists behead some Muslims.)

God, I hope it's better than The Map and the Territory.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Drakken on January 07, 2015, 09:10:34 AM
Also, this will surely ensure Marine Le Pen has a real chance to become President.  :ph34r:

That's the trouble with populists - if there is a problem that the mainstream fails to even acknowledge, the populist non-solution to that problem will end up being the only option for the voters.