News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Journalism is getting dangerous. Freedom of the press is one thing, but I'm not sure my principles stretch to regularly stirring up Islamist ire.

QuoteGun attack on French magazine Charlie Hebdo kills 11

Gunmen have attacked the Paris office of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, killing 11 people and injuring 10, French officials say.

Witnesses spoke of sustained gunfire at the office as the attackers opened fire with assault rifles.

The satirical weekly has courted controversy in the past with its take on news and current affairs.

Its latest tweet was a cartoon of the Islamic State militant group leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

An eyewitness, Benoit Bringer, told French TV channel Itele: "Two black-hooded men entered the building with Kalashnikovs. A few minutes later we heard lots of shots."

The men were then seen fleeing the building.

"It's carnage," French police official Luc Poignant told another French channel, BFMTV.

The magazine was fire-bombed in November 2011 a day after it carried a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30710883

The Tweet in question:

Norgy

Martinus

I was considering two angles of responding - bashing muslims or making a joke about gun control.

I couldn't decide which to choose. :(

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 06:56:37 AM
I was considering two angles of responding - bashing muslims or making a joke about gun control.

I couldn't decide which to choose. :(

These two don't seem to be mutually exclusive :unsure:

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Viking

Unpossible! Mohammed never had people murdered for expressing their opinion! Wait, eh, he did....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Duque de Bragança

A video now on all French channels with masked attackers "shouting Allah 'o Akbar" and "we've avenged Muhammad", so islamicists are the official suspects.
Well, with the highest terror alert in the next days, the transportation system will be messed up. Guess what, it's the beginning of the Winter sales (Brazen bad timing for les soldes here too bad for the current cheap Eurostar offer).

Some earlier incidents, much less dramatic, had been dismissed as isolated events, it will be much tougher this time.

http://www.france24.com/en/20141221-police-shooting-allahu-akbar-joue-tours-jihad-islamic-state/

http://www.france24.com/en/20141222-driver-french-pedestrians-allahu-akbar-attack-dijon/

edit for Martinus ;)

Martinus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2015, 07:43:53 AM
No clues about who did it yet, but islamicists are strongly suspected.

I think it is premature to draw a conclusion that masked men with kalashnikovs shouting "Allahu Akbar" and attacking a journal known for its anti-muslim caricatures may be islamist or indeed have anything to do with Islam.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Warspite

Looking at the indications so far, these guys seem like pros. Really tight grouping on the shots on the police car, for instance, and the gear they have is not that of your average nutcase.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 07:45:03 AM

I think it is premature to draw a conclusion that masked men with kalashnikovs shouting "Allahu Akbar" and attacking a journal known for its anti-muslim caricatures may be islamist or indeed have anything to do with Islam.

Interestingly that one detail isn't being reported by most media outlets that seem to just be leaping from what the journal published to islamicists.

Also, how tragic. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Don't mess with third world monkey people's moon gods.

And some of us are just ignorant Americans, Brazen, so we have no idea what that tweeted cartoon says.  I see a dude talking into a microphone.  Probably bitching about Jews or shooting rape victims.  What's it say?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 07, 2015, 07:49:02 AM
Don't mess with third world monkey people's moon gods.

And some of us are just ignorant Americans, Brazen, so we have no idea what that tweeted cartoon says.  I see a dude talking into a microphone.  Probably bitching about Jews or shooting rape victims.  What's it say?

Leader of Daesh/Isil/whatever wishing a Happy New Year and specially, good health.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2015, 07:47:17 AM

Interestingly that one detail isn't being reported by most media outlets that seem to just be leaping from what the journal published to islamicists.

Also, how tragic. :(

A number of news sites are actually reporting this detail (or the attackers shouting or saying other things of a similar nature) and they are citing one of the survivors as the source.

Makes you wonder whether the media outlets who are not reporting on that do so because the information is not credible or because they are censoring this important piece of information out.

Duque de Bragança

Earlier on, the current French government said that people attacking policemen in a precinct with a knife, or driving their car into people while shouting Allah 'o Akbar were just lunatics. Some isolated incidents.