News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

QuoteFrench Israelis were as shocked and saddened over the horrific attacks in Paris as Americans were about 9/11, but while we were stunned, they weren't surprised at all.

Of course not. They have dealt with these people's antics for a long time.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2015, 08:05:29 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2015, 07:50:16 PM

What's his point?  That Charlie shouldn't have ridiculed Islam because there are Muslim cops?

Maybe their choice to excersie their right to free speech can/have/had a price.

Just because you can say it, doesn't mean you have to.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2015, 08:05:29 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 10, 2015, 07:50:16 PM

What's his point?  That Charlie shouldn't have ridiculed Islam because there are Muslim cops?

That he identifies more with the Muslims who participate in French life and even die for it than he does with Charlie Hebdo which mocks and ridicules him.

Seems straight forward to me.

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2015, 08:11:58 PM
That he identifies more with the Muslims who participate in French life and even die for it than he does with Charlie Hebdo which mocks and ridicules him.

"Charlie ridiculed his faith and culture" sound much more like chastisement than "difficult to identify with."

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2015, 08:28:37 PM

"Charlie ridiculed his faith and culture" sound much more like chastisement than "difficult to identify with."

Well they did.

Neil

His faith was stupid and his culture was evil.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 10, 2015, 08:37:32 PM
Well they did.

I ridicule your faith and culture too, yet I support Raz's death in defending it.  That's what makes us in the West so great, and Them Over There, not so much.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2015, 08:28:37 PM

Sounds like a statement of fact to me. I don't think Charlie Hebdo would disagree, from what I understand of the magazine.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2015, 08:41:09 PM
Sounds like a statement of fact to me. I don't think Charlie Hebdo would disagree, from what I understand of the magazine.

Before it was a straight forward expression of his not identifying with Charlie Hebdo, now it's just a plain statement of fact.

Neil

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with Yi here.  If they had just been lauding the Muslim cop, that would be one thing.  I feel like the purposeful dissociation from Charlie is sort of the wagging finger.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2015, 08:46:11 PM

Before it was a straight forward expression of his not identifying with Charlie Hebdo, now it's just a plain statement of fact.

... yes?

His statement has several parts. The first part says he does not identify with with Charlie Hebdo. Later he states that Charlie Hebdo mocked his culture and faith, which is a straight up statement of fact (and not one I believe is controversial).

I think it's reasonable to infer that the statement of fact he provides is the reason for how he identifies, given it's in the same statement and all.

Is this confusing?

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on January 10, 2015, 08:59:29 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2015, 08:46:11 PM

... yes?

His statement has several parts. The first part says he does not identify with with Charlie Hebdo. Later he states that Charlie Hebdo mocked his culture and faith, which is a straight up statement of fact (and not one I believe is controversial).

I think it's reasonable to infer that the statement of fact he provides is the reason for how he identifies, given it's in the same statement and all.

Is this confusing?
No
Only to the ridiculous and they not mentioning any names (Seedy, Tricky Dick, Yi), know who they are.

11B4V