Bosnian imam attacked 7 times over call to stay out of Syria

Started by garbon, January 05, 2015, 02:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/bosnian-imam-attacked-7-times-over-call-stay-161722154.html

QuoteThe long-bearded man burst into the mosque's yard and pinned Selvedin Beganovic to the ground. Shouting "Now I will slaughter you!" he plunged a knife three times into the imam's chest and fled.

It was no random attack: Beganovic has suffered seven assaults blamed on Muslim extremists in the past year — with three just last month.

The apparent reason for the jihadi wrath? Beganovic uses his pulpit to tell the faithful in predominantly Muslim Bosnia they have no business fighting in Syria or Iraq. And he vows to keep preaching the message no matter how many times extremists try to silence him.

"That is not our war," the imam told The Associated Press in his small northwestern town. "Our jihad in Bosnia is the fight against unemployment. The care for our parents who have small pensions. The care for the socially jeopardized."

Some 150 Bosnians have joined Islamic militants in Syria or Iraq, officials estimate, with many fighting for the Islamic State group. All are apparently members of a small community that follows an ultra-conservative interpretation of Islam. Last month, a court in Bosnia charged a man believed to be the spiritual leader of the group with recruiting Bosnians to fight with Islamic militants in Syria and organizing a terrorist group.

Beganovic, who preaches every week to a full mosque, tells his followers that groups like IS are spreading a "perverted version of Islam."

"When did (the Prophet) Muhammad ever behead anyone?" he said. "When did he take a knife and slaughter an innocent journalist?"

Of Islam's 99 names for God — including The Mighty and The Avenger — the ones Beganovic likes most are The Exceedingly Merciful and The Exceedingly Gracious.

"That is what we teach our children here," he said.

Dragan Lukac, the director of federal police, blamed fighters returning from Syria's front lines for the attacks against Beganovic, which include severe beatings and knife slashes to the face, shoulders and hands. Investigators are still hunting for the attacker in last week's knife assault.

"Every person who comes back from that front line is a danger," said Lukac. "These people are able to perform attacks on citizens, on property, on state institutions."

Militant Islam was all but unknown to Bosnia's mostly secular Muslim population until the 1990s Balkans wars when Arab mercenaries turned up to help the outgunned Bosnian Muslims fend off Serb attacks. These fighters, many of whom settled in Bosnia, embraced a radical version of Islam that Bosnia's official Islamic community opposes.

The community's leader, Husein Kavazovic, has repeatedly warned Bosnians not to fall for extremist rhetoric aimed at pulling them into the fight in Syria.

"Our job is to keep repeating, to keep warning that this is evil and cannot be justified," he said.

That's exactly what Beganovic has been doing — at the risk of his life.

"These are dangerous people," he said. "Their place is in a mental institution."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

That is the thing about Muslim extremism: it is much more dangerous to Muslims than the rest of us.

When did ultra-conservative start to mean ultra-radical?  I thought those were contradictions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2015, 02:56:49 PM
That is the thing about Muslim extremism: it is much more dangerous to Muslims than the rest of us.

When did ultra-conservative start to mean ultra-radical?  I thought those were contradictions.

I think it's always been the case, depending on context. When radicals tend to radicalize from a conservative context, they're called ultra-conservative; when they radicalize from a left-wing context they're called ultra-leftist, etc.

In all cases it seems they want to overthrow the existing social order to achieve an ideal society. In the case of ultra-conservative radicals, that ideal society is expressed as a yearning for a past golden age, while progressive radicals are yearning for a future golden age. In both cases the golden age is to be achieved by strictly adhering to the creed, taking extreme action, and overthrowing the current social order. The differences lie in whether we are supposed to look forward or backwards to find Utopia (and, of course, in some of the details of the content of the hoped for Utopia).

CountDeMoney

Anything that begins with "ultra" is a bad thing.  Except Ultraman.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on January 05, 2015, 03:06:58 PM
I think it's always been the case, depending on context. When radicals tend to radicalize from a conservative context, they're called ultra-conservative; when they radicalize from a left-wing context they're called ultra-leftist, etc.

In all cases it seems they want to overthrow the existing social order to achieve an ideal society. In the case of ultra-conservative radicals, that ideal society is expressed as a yearning for a past golden age, while progressive radicals are yearning for a future golden age. In both cases the golden age is to be achieved by strictly adhering to the creed, taking extreme action, and overthrowing the current social order. The differences lie in whether we are supposed to look forward or backwards to find Utopia (and, of course, in some of the details of the content of the hoped for Utopia).
It's also one of the many problems of applying political labels onto religious views - same as the unbelievably insulting idea of a 'moderate' Muslim and the kind of annoying use of 'radical' in a negative way. Theologically an ultra-conservative, Salafist preacher is very radical and novel as opposed to a traditional Bosnian preacher who would be considerably less conservative.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

When did Muhammed behead anybody?

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Banu_QurayzaNo woman of Banu Qurayza was killed except one. She was with me, talking and laughing on her back and belly (extremely), while the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) was killing her people with the swords. Suddenly a man called her name: Where is so-and-so? She said: I I asked: What is the matter with you? She said: I did a new act. She said: The man took her and beheaded her. She said: I will not forget that she was laughing extremely although she knew that she would be killed.
Sunan Abu Dawud 14:2665

It's hard to combat extremism when you don't have the facts on your side; or by straight up lying.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malicious Intent

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 05, 2015, 03:17:38 PM

Marneus Calgar disapproves.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on January 05, 2015, 04:06:13 PM

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Banu_QurayzaNo woman of Banu Qurayza was killed except one. She was with me, talking and laughing on her back and belly (extremely), while the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) was killing her people with the swords. Suddenly a man called her name: Where is so-and-so? She said: I I asked: What is the matter with you? She said: I did a new act. She said: The man took her and beheaded her. She said: I will not forget that she was laughing extremely although she knew that she would be killed.

It's hard to combat extremism when you don't have the facts on your side; or by straight up lying.

When I read that in the article, I thought to myself "which bitch will complain about that?" and the answer was obvious. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Malicious Intent on January 05, 2015, 05:07:34 PM

Marneus Calgar disapproves.

It looks like he's on the Shitter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Meh.  Probably never happened.  Granted, though, we are talking about the big Mo as portrayed in Islamic tradition.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

WTF?
I have no idea what this says as the Wikipedia supplied translation is not in any form of cognizable English.  However, it doesn't have Muhammad doing any beheading as far as I can see.

The underlying Quranic verse doesn't say anything of the sort.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2015, 05:57:58 PM

Meh.  Probably never happened.  Granted, though, we are talking about the big Mo as portrayed in Islamic tradition.

Well, to be fair he didn't actually say who didn't have the facts on their side and was straight up lying.

Viking

At least one Ultraman is evil.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.