News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hey Spaniards, is this true?

Started by Martinus, January 03, 2015, 04:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I read on some leftist websites that the Spanish parliament passed a very restrictive anti-protest law, which among others, provides for a fine of up to EUR 30k for filming the police during a protest.

I havent seen any mainstream media report on this but if true, this looks quite outrageous. Is it true?

Martinus

This is allegedly the full list of new offences. Admittedly, some of these are not that outlandish, but some seem straight out of Belarus.  :huh:

1. Photographing or recording police – 600 to 30.000€ fine.

2. Peaceful disobedience to authority – 600 to 30.000€ fine.

3. Occupying banks as means of protest – 600 to 30.000€ fine.

4. Not formalizing a protest – 600 to 30.000€ fine.

5. For carrying out assemblies or meetings in public spaces – 100 to 600€ fine.

6. For impeding or stopping an eviction – 600 to 30.000€ fine.

7. For presence at an occupied space (not only social centers but also houses occupied by evicted families) – 100 to 600€ fine.

8. Police black lists for protesters, activists and alternative press have been legalized.

9. Meeting or gathering in front of Congress – 600 to 30.000€ fine.

10. Appealing the fines in court requires the payment of judicial costs, whose amount depends on the fine.

11. It allows random identity checks, allowing for racial profiling of immigrants and minorities.

12. Police can now carry out raids at their discretion, without the need for "order" to have been disrupted.

13. External bodily searches are also now allowed at police discretion.

14. The government can prohibit any protest at will, if it feels "order" will be disrupted.

15. Any ill-defined "critical infrastructure" is now considered a forbidden zone for public gatherings if it might affect their functioning.

16. There are also fines for people who climb buildings and monuments without permission. (This has been a common method of protest from organizations like Greenpeace.)

The Brain

Oh no the mob can no longer rule unhindered. Wah-fucking.. er... wah. Tear-falling pity dwelt not in this eye.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on January 03, 2015, 04:28:14 PM
Oh no the mob can no longer rule unhindered. Wah-fucking.. er... wah. Tear-falling pity dwelt not in this eye.

Stupid troll is stupid.

celedhring

It is true, and cause of some pretty big political upheaval - it's been nicknamed "the gagging law". The entire opposition have vowed to abolish the law if they gain a majority.

The ruling right-wing party has seen big street unrest these past years, as it has deployed Brussels-mandated austerity, while unemployment has remained tragically high. I guess that they believe that killing the symptoms will kill the problem - they are nowhere near a clear majority in the polls and the Spanish equivalent of Siritza is surging.

Richard Hakluyt

Zombie Franco is alive and well it seems.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Maybe Mono can move to work here now, our roads are plentiful and unblocked.

Anyway, the law is in the Senate, and then it will go back to the Congress. I guess it will get softened in some parts to make it look like they relaxed a little, while still remaining outrageous overall.

Ed Anger

Y'all still have whole villages for sale?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 03, 2015, 05:51:46 PM

Yeah, they even started an entire website for them; like russianbrides.com, but without brides, or Russians.

http://aldeasabandonadas.com/

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on January 03, 2015, 05:57:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 03, 2015, 05:51:46 PM

Yeah, they even started an entire website for them; like russianbrides.com, but without brides, or Russians.

http://aldeasabandonadas.com/

Can they be populated with Russian brides?

Anyway, I'm sorry about your country going repressive--and once again thanks to the Germans. <_<  Now, I get a lot of shit for being authoritarian, but the one freedom that's legitimately the most important of all (well, short of being randomly gunned down in the street) ought never be touched. :(

Pop quiz: is the EU a failure?  I hate to say it, but it looks like it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

The right to free speech is infinitely more important than the right to carry mass-produced signs and giant puppets in public.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2015, 11:18:59 AM
The right to free speech is infinitely more important than the right to carry mass-produced signs and giant puppets in public.

The right to watch sports is more important than the right to watch college basketball.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?