News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A&E in Crisis

Started by Sheilbh, January 02, 2015, 08:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Ted Turner bought the library of some studio outright way back, so their production costs are like one guy punching a button.

Neil

And even without commercials, I would imagine the carriage fees exceed the costs by at least an order of magnitude.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on January 04, 2015, 05:20:42 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 04, 2015, 02:32:04 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 04, 2015, 10:30:21 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2015, 12:19:19 AM
That channel threw away the A for Arts in "Arts & Entertainment" a long time ago.
They were the first.  A&E turned to shit.  Then TLC.  Then Discovery.  Then History.  Then Animal Planet.  A channel is born full of interesting content, and then turns into reality shit over time, and the change is happening faster and faster these days.
Smithsonian is the last hold-out, and even they are beginning to falter.
Yeah, I just noticed it up at the top of the dial.  There's also a channel called Oasis, which is all nature and space science shows, which is great.

yeah, Smithsonian has some real quality stuff, even though some of it gets "docu-drama"dy.  But I do hold out hope for it, and I like Oasis and and IFC.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2015, 06:51:02 PM
Ted Turner bought the library of some studio outright way back, so their production costs are like one guy punching a button.

Now that's a job I'd do for less than $60k.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

TLC is hardly shit. They're showing Too Cute! Puppies right now.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2015, 06:51:02 PM

TCM licenses from many studios, so they do spend a bit more than that. Old films are available for a pittance, anyway. Dead actors don't pick up residuals.

Brazen

If I suffer a heart attack, I intend to throw myself down a flight of stairs too, as the local hospital where I was born now only does "urgent care", including broken bones, but not A&E.

If you don't have a car (not that there's any parking available) and aren't urgent enough a case for an ambulance, it's more than half an hour to the next hospital with A&E support.

In the run-up to the election, we regularly had MPs, including the illustrious David Cameron, turn up at the hospital vowing that it wouldn't lose its services   <_<

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/boy-2-dies-after-mother-rushed-him-to-chase-farm-ae-not-knowing-it-had-been-axed-9071602.html

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on January 04, 2015, 06:59:08 PM
And even without commercials, I would imagine the carriage fees exceed the costs by at least an order of magnitude.

That's the nerve of all this. These channels only exist for the carriage fees & fill up bundle packages.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

I was chatting with a friend that works in the cable industry and he reckons TCM earns around a quarter per subscriber each month. Given that IIRC it's on almost every basic package in the US, you do the math.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Brazen on January 05, 2015, 08:34:04 AM
If I suffer a heart attack, I intend to throw myself down a flight of stairs too, as the local hospital where I was born now only does "urgent care", including broken bones, but not A&E.

If you don't have a car (not that there's any parking available) and aren't urgent enough a case for an ambulance, it's more than half an hour to the next hospital with A&E support.

In the run-up to the election, we regularly had MPs, including the illustrious David Cameron, turn up at the hospital vowing that it wouldn't lose its services   <_<

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/boy-2-dies-after-mother-rushed-him-to-chase-farm-ae-not-knowing-it-had-been-axed-9071602.html

<_<

It isn't very thought through sometimes. I needed something looking at, but it wasn't an emergency so I trekked up the Urgent Care Centre at Guy's. Once the doctor had talked with me for a bit he decided I needed blood tests, but the UCC doesn't have any testing facilities. So he told me to go to A&E (though at St. Thomas's for some reason) because it was still urgent :lol: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

I read some of the highlights of the article. One thing that I take from it is the overcrowding of the system and some lack of equipment, and the wait times.  This new hospital has its mandate to treat 95% of patients within four hours, has much of the medical equipment in one place, so it gets a lot of patients who bypass their own doctors and go right to the source, so to speak. To provide more efficient care the article also points out that clinics and smaller facilities have been opened around the UK to address things but those haven't really caught on with people.

In my area in the US we've seen a lot of clinics and surgery centers spring up, even in my town where there is a large community hospital. People can go to these clinics in place of going to a hospital emergency room. Pharmacies have walk in clinics for illnesses, flu shots, etc. These ideas are fairly new but have probably been a slow trend for a while now.

Brazen

QuoteA&E waiting times would improve if you weren't such idiots, say experts

ACCIDENT and emergency waiting times have worsened because Britain is so full of cretins, experts have confirmed.

Researchers found the key issue affecting hospital A&E provision was not funding or organisation, but the sheer heft of Britain's collective stupidity.

Martin Bishop, a 33 year-old man who is currently sitting in an A&E department in Stevenage, said: "I've got a bit of a sore throat."

Professor Henry Brubaker, from the Institute for Studies, added: "For fuck's sake."

According to the Institute, A&E waiting times have increased as Britain's educational standards have plummeted.

Professor Brubaker said: "We experts call that 'correlation'. Don't look it up in a dictionary, because you'll probably end up setting fire to yourself.

"In fact, don't do anything or go anywhere. Just sit in the corner and shut your idiotic face."

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/health/ae-waiting-times-would-improve-if-you-werent-such-idiots-say-experts-2015010694135

:P

mongers

We're a sick country.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Britain is one of the weakest countries in the world, except for all the others.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."