Spanish Rent Control End Spells Doom for Shopkeepers, Boom for Big Bidness

Started by CountDeMoney, January 02, 2015, 04:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Do some Americans consider it a sign of weakness to show some sympathy for the little guy?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on January 02, 2015, 04:36:35 PM
The destruction of small businesses is good, since it narrows the constituency for capitalism, and makes it more efficient for when the government finally goes ahead and takes over Walton-Chase Enterprises.
8/10  :thumbsup:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 02, 2015, 08:08:08 PM
Before was absolutely the last poster I figured for a Grab On sock puppet.

I don't know, I had him begged as a captain closet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on January 02, 2015, 08:41:50 PM
Do some Americans consider it a sign of weakness to show some sympathy for the little guy?

Three of them do.  They are all related and all live in upstate New York.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2015, 08:45:58 PM

I don't know, I had him begged as a captain closet.

My understanding of the vernacular fail me, what's a 'Grab On' ?   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

garbon.  I also meant to say "pegged".  Anyone who goes on that much about his machismo has got to be into sausage.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

I don't have enough energy to maintain a sock puppet. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

These are not really little guys. Little guys are those who pay similar rents, but in much shittier locations.

LaCroix

on average, i think americans generally look after the little guy, regardless of their political party. for example, many conservatives in smaller communities/rural areas are all for the little guy. and there are plenty of liberals who are unsympathetic to the little guy.  :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2015, 08:58:14 PM
garbon.  I also meant to say "pegged".  Anyone who goes on that much about his machismo has got to be into sausage.

Just because sometimes he handles other men's guns doesn't make him gay.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on January 02, 2015, 04:19:09 PM
Rent control can be pretty bad. I don't have such a view though with regards to rent stabilization (e.g. increases can't be drastic).
:yes: Rent control is an act of pure economic idiocy, and it merely rewards luck and bribery at the cost of nuking investment in real estate property.  I can't say I agree about rent stabilization, only because in practice "not drastic" is a rate somewhere between 0 and a fraction of inflation rate.

CountDeMoney

Yes;  sympathy and compassion is for suckers, and nobody deserves it less than the little guy.  They don't like it, they should have been a big guy.

Ideologue

If you have sympathy for the little guy, or if God forbid you are a little guy, you probably want to shoot up a mall.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Pretty soon, the only ones still working for the big guys will be the lawyers and the HR girls.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers