And we're back!

Main Menu

The Tragedy of the American Military

Started by Sheilbh, December 29, 2014, 07:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on December 31, 2014, 09:55:17 AM
Quote from: Neil on December 30, 2014, 10:12:59 PM
Why would anyone care about draft dodging in any event?  The draft ended 40 years ago, and should have been ended sooner if the US wanted to use their military on pointless wars that they'll fight to lose, like Vietnam.

Everyone is expected to do his duty.  Those who shirk do not deserve to live here.  Shit, at least get some conscientious objector gig or request non-combat duty.

How many years did you serve in the military?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on December 31, 2014, 12:22:41 PM
I don't agree.  There's no shame in avoiding going out there to get shot at for no purpose.  The US had decided to lose the war in Vietnam, so why participate?  Maybe if you were black, because then you could get the training to fight your real enemy, the United States.  But it'd still be pretty risky, especially since you'd have to subordinate yourself to racist officers.
2/10
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I served 15 years online. I bunny hopped though the ETO.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: derspiess on December 31, 2014, 11:54:27 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 31, 2014, 11:30:19 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 31, 2014, 10:43:32 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 31, 2014, 10:03:28 AM
What about those who serve their country in other ways?  Like being a teacher?

Under certain circumstances, sure.  I think that's what Dave Barry did as a conscientious objector.

Are there some circumstances when serving in the military is not a form of serving your country?

Sure-- e.g., cases where you're not a citizen of said country.

That kind of irks me (but I'll give the benefit of the doubt if you didn't mean it in the following case), as there are plenty of folks serving in the U.S. military who are not yet citizens, but are striving to be.  I would say they are serving our country, and what could fairly said be their adopted country.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 31, 2014, 06:43:41 PM
as there are plenty of folks serving in the U.S. military who are not yet citizens, but are striving to be.  I would say they are serving our country, and what could fairly said be their adopted country.

Security risks.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 31, 2014, 06:57:04 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 31, 2014, 06:43:41 PM
as there are plenty of folks serving in the U.S. military who are not yet citizens, but are striving to be.  I would say they are serving our country, and what could fairly said be their adopted country.

Security risks.

I think overly-idealistic Millennials are the greatest security risk.  Jaded curmudgeons are America's last line of defense.

PDH

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 31, 2014, 09:54:41 PM
I think overly-idealistic Millennials are the greatest security risk.  Jaded curmudgeons are America's last line of defense.

Get the fuck out of Laramie, hippie.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on December 31, 2014, 02:07:24 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 31, 2014, 12:22:41 PM
I don't agree.  There's no shame in avoiding going out there to get shot at for no purpose.  The US had decided to lose the war in Vietnam, so why participate?  Maybe if you were black, because then you could get the training to fight your real enemy, the United States.  But it'd still be pretty risky, especially since you'd have to subordinate yourself to racist officers.
2/10
If I was really trolling, I would have said that the US military lost all legitimacy when they mothballed their dreadnoughts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Alcibiades

Quote from: dps on December 30, 2014, 12:55:07 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 29, 2014, 09:53:05 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 29, 2014, 09:12:00 PM
A draft dodger?  Fuck him.  Let someone else make the point.

It's easy to hate on draft dodgers.  But I don't think there are many in the military who would want to serve alongside someone who really doesn't want to be there that much.  Not because of their impression of their character, but in terms of their motivation/dedication.

That might be true in today's US military, because everyone is used to an all-volunteer service.  I don't think the same attitude would prevail among those who served between 1940 and 1975.

Exactly.  I don't think most people who got drafted wanted to be drafted or sent to Vietnam, but they didn't 'bitch out' or take the easy way out. 

While he brings up some good points, misses the mark completely on others, it just seems bullshit coming from someone of his background as if hes speaking from the inside.   :yuk:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Razgovory

The old army from the Korean war to the Vietnam war still had a very large core of volunteers and professional NCOs.  I remember reading that 75% of soldiers in Vietnam were volunteers.  Draftees tended to go to Europe, Korea, Japan or stay in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Two of my colleagues -- one at the old office, one at the current one -- were in the Army during the Vietnam War and were sent to Vietnam. 

They both got drafted and just showed up for induction like they were told to.  The first one was drafted after college at the peak of the war and the second was drafted after high school a couple years later.  They were both stationed on base during their respective years in Vietnam, the first as a typist and the second as a truck mechanic.  Then rotated back to the US, at bases in California and the South, both having all their family and friends back in New England.  Then given honorable discharges and that was that.

Neither of them really seem to have any strong feelings or anything to say about it.  They each told me it felt like a complete waste of two years of their lives and that their service seemed pointless.  No memorable anecdotes or harrowing tales; no pride in serving and no resentment at being drafted -- just a two-year blank spot that consumed ages 22-24 and 19-21 a long time ago, before and after which they lived their real young adult lives.

These accounts are almost the oddest to hear, given how emotionally overloaded the whole Vietnam experience is in the American psyche.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on December 31, 2014, 10:44:20 AM
Quote from: dps on December 31, 2014, 10:38:31 AM
No, it's one thing to be a coward.  Vietnam era draft dodgers, in the main, weren't cowards--they were Commie sympathizers.

Some of them were traitors and some were cowards.

Others were smarter than most.

Siege

Quote from: Hansmeister on December 31, 2014, 02:40:48 AM
Pretty good article.  I've worked with a lot of senior military officers (and CSM) and what I've noted was how remarkably uninspiring most of them are. Far more often than not they are essentially plain bureaucrats who rose to the top by never making any waves.  Being boring and unimaginative seem to be prerequisites to rise to the top. I've met many very interesting and competent Colonels, who never make it to flag officer rank, the selection criteria is certainly broken.

You, my friend, are absolutely right.
When I look at the ribbon rack on any CSM, I see no combat awards whatsoever.
They all got the right schools, but few if any has been in the shit and has the little metal hanging on his chest to prove it.

My impression is senior NCOs are hostile to combat focused hot shots.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 01, 2015, 03:49:22 PM
Two of my colleagues -- one at the old office, one at the current one -- were in the Army during the Vietnam War and were sent to Vietnam. 

They both got drafted and just showed up for induction like they were told to.  The first one was drafted after college at the peak of the war and the second was drafted after high school a couple years later.  They were both stationed on base during their respective years in Vietnam, the first as a typist and the second as a truck mechanic.  Then rotated back to the US, at bases in California and the South, both having all their family and friends back in New England.  Then given honorable discharges and that was that.

Neither of them really seem to have any strong feelings or anything to say about it.  They each told me it felt like a complete waste of two years of their lives and that their service seemed pointless.  No memorable anecdotes or harrowing tales; no pride in serving and no resentment at being drafted -- just a two-year blank spot that consumed ages 22-24 and 19-21 a long time ago, before and after which they lived their real young adult lives.

These accounts are almost the oddest to hear, given how emotionally overloaded the whole Vietnam experience is in the American psyche.

But this should be rather the norm than the exception. As I said, only one out of seven Soldiers is an infantryman.
Which is kind of telling me that there a lot of mechanics, cooks, and supply dudes with great war stories out there.

After seen the Hall Of Shame : http://guardianofvalor.com/hall-of-shame/
I do not believe war stories people say unless I know the dude personally and are other guys around that were there and can vouch for the story.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ideologue

So were Boomers just allowed to walk into Canada and work and stuff?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)