News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Tragedy of the American Military

Started by Sheilbh, December 29, 2014, 07:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

There's been a lot of talk lately about a widening gap between those in the military and civilians because such a small percentage serve, and so not many people have much or any contact with the military so have little idea of it. Most people hold military members in high regard, I think partly because people realize that they're doing the job asked of them and aren't the ones making the political decisions. Unlike Viet Nam where the military was demonized instead, though the politicians were demonized as well, but it seemed the soldiers caught too much the brunt of anger at the war.

Siege

Quote from: Habbaku on December 30, 2014, 01:09:44 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 29, 2014, 09:12:00 PM
A draft dodger?  Fuck him.  Let someone else make the point.

Yeah, God forbid someone try their best not to get sent off to kill someone or get killed themselves.
Or to serve his country.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: KRonn on December 30, 2014, 09:17:20 AM
There's been a lot of talk lately about a widening gap between those in the military and civilians because such a small percentage serve, and so not many people have much or any contact with the military so have little idea of it. Most people hold military members in high regard, I think partly because people realize that they're doing the job asked of them and aren't the ones making the political decisions. Unlike Viet Nam where the military was demonized instead, though the politicians were demonized as well, but it seemed the soldiers caught too much the brunt of anger at the war.

And then, there are 7 pogs for each infantryman.
Talk about a gap.

Ed Anger

Bar opens a little early at Fort Campbell
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: mongers on December 30, 2014, 09:02:30 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2014, 04:33:39 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 30, 2014, 04:01:22 AM
Don't hate draft dodgers, hate the fucked up system that tried to unfairly steal their freedom.
I can understand why many went along with things and didn't try to dodge, but, even though they were the majority, they are the anomaly.

Josq says: vote Mosley.

Edit: Well, I guess you guys did have World War I.  How does living in an irredeemably-declined global power feel?  No, seriously, I need to know what to be prepared for. :(

It feels good; the Empire really was a very silly thing, redeemed by the final use it was put to.

Kill Argentines?  Agreed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 30, 2014, 01:12:07 AM
Those who were drafted, and didn't dodge certainly likely resented those who did...

Well, moral cowards often resent those who take costly and unpopular principled positions. ;)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on December 30, 2014, 11:21:22 AM
Well, moral cowards often resent those who take costly and unpopular principled positions. ;)

I dunno;  Mitt Romney took a costly and unpopular principled position in creating an unpopular anti-draft dodger group on campus during his six college deferments and one "LULZ, IMMA ON MAH MISSION" to Paris.   That takes real guts.

Siege

What is Martinus doing in a military thread?
Somebody smack him pleaz.

derspiess

Quote from: Habbaku on December 30, 2014, 01:09:44 AM
Yeah, God forbid someone try their best not to get sent off to kill someone or get killed themselves be a coward.

FIXED
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on December 30, 2014, 10:33:23 AM
Quote from: KRonn on December 30, 2014, 09:17:20 AM

And then, there are 7 pogs for each infantryman.
Talk about a gap.

Much less of a gap then having to drive home from Iraq every night to get dinner and some more ammunition.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017