And we're back!

Main Menu

The Tragedy of the American Military

Started by Sheilbh, December 29, 2014, 07:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on December 30, 2014, 03:31:57 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 30, 2014, 03:28:56 AM
People who really don't want to be in the military can be shaped into formidable fighting soldiers. IF they actually get into uniform.

There is no way you can make a formidable fighting soldier out of me.

Not because you don't want to be a soldier.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

People who really don't want to be in the military can be shaped into formidable fighting soldiers. IF they actually get into uniform.

As I understand PLA doctrine, your job would be to absorb one or more bullets, till such time as the United Nations forces run out of bullets.  You could do that. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Don't hate draft dodgers, hate the fucked up system that tried to unfairly steal their freedom.
I can understand why many went along with things and didn't try to dodge, but, even though they were the majority, they are the anomaly.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

How about we use you to operate a lethal drone and give you share options for each jihadist killed?

Monoriu

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 30, 2014, 04:27:09 AM

How about we use you to operate a lethal drone and give you share options for each jihadist killed?

For the first time in my life, becoming a soldier seems an attractive proposition  :menace:

Ideologue

Quote from: Tyr on December 30, 2014, 04:01:22 AM
Don't hate draft dodgers, hate the fucked up system that tried to unfairly steal their freedom.
I can understand why many went along with things and didn't try to dodge, but, even though they were the majority, they are the anomaly.

Josq says: vote Mosley.

Edit: Well, I guess you guys did have World War I.  How does living in an irredeemably-declined global power feel?  No, seriously, I need to know what to be prepared for. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

What's unfair about meeting people from a different culture and killing them?

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2014, 04:33:39 AM

Edit: Well, I guess you guys did have World War I.  How does living in an irredeemably-declined global power feel?  No, seriously, I need to know what to be prepared for. :(

?????
What does being against conscription have to do with being fascist? The opposite surely ?

Britain hasn't declined (well.... Maybe a bit what with the 80s...), the rest of the world here merely rose :contract:
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

The guys who don't volunteer for military service are the guys who need it the most. Order and discipline is a good antidote to hippieism.

Ideologue

The question posed is "Should Britons have had the freedom not to spend a few years fighting the Nazis when they threatened to enslave the continent forever?"
Kinemalogue

Syt

Shouldn't all young men be ready to slaughter foreigners or enemies within and to lay down their own lives if their country's elders tell them to?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2014, 04:43:31 AM
The question posed is "Should Britons have had the freedom not to spend a few years fighting the Nazis when they threatened to enslave the continent forever?"
Ideally yes. If a war is really so critical then there should be enough volunteers.
In practice a moral war against an evil enemy that is directly attacking your country is a bit more important and valid a cause than going to the other side of the world to help one nasty little regime to murder it's citizens because they might possibly like another nasty little regime instead.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

A citizen accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic, defending it with his life. A civilian does not.

Monoriu

Quote from: The Brain on December 30, 2014, 06:53:36 AM
A citizen accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic, defending it with his life. A civilian does not.

I am: civilian  :bowler:

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on December 30, 2014, 04:33:39 AM

It feels good; the Empire really was a very silly thing, redeemed by the final use it was put to.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"