NFL Postseason Megathread: Playoffs in the Post-Orton Era

Started by CountDeMoney, December 29, 2014, 02:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2015, 08:55:47 AM
I am sure they were all choir boys whose sweat regularly mixed with the tears of angels.

We don't know any differently.  Now the Royals were the beneficiaries of the biggest scandal of the 80s, but it wasn't their doing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

The blown call at first??  That's hardly a scandal.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2015, 10:03:00 AM

You just went on Spicey's list buddy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

It was all the difference in the 1985 World Series.  Cardinals would have 12 World Series titles now instead of a mere 11.  So yeah, kind of a big deal.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2015, 09:34:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 13, 2015, 08:55:47 AM
I am sure they were all choir boys whose sweat regularly mixed with the tears of angels.

We don't know any differently.  Now the Royals were the beneficiaries of the biggest scandal of the 80s, but it wasn't their doing.

You're tears, they are delicious. :mmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2015, 10:10:58 AM

It was all the difference in the 1985 World Series.  Cardinals would have 12 World Series titles now instead of a mere 11.  So yeah, kind of a big deal.

Your boys should have taken care of business in game seven. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2015, 10:11:54 AM

No, you are!

Speesh: big deal sure, but not a scandal.  No one cheated.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2015, 08:44:14 AM
Plus he owned up to it and even poked fun at himself later.  George Brett was a hell of a guy :)

Don't ever compare Brady to him again, Tim  :glare:

The local Yankees channel loves to replay that game; never gets old seeing Brett charge out of the dugout red-assed.

Backstory was that Billy Martin had noticed the pine tar in a previous game and was just waiting for the opportune moment . . .

Agree though that Brett was standup guy and great competitor, and the pine tar incident was just Billy Martin Jedi mind tricks at work.  Not comparable to this sneaky deflation business.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2015, 10:12:43 AM
Your boys should have taken care of business in game seven. :contract:

Yeah they lost bitching rights after that stinker of game 7.
IIRC they had Tudor pitching too.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on May 12, 2015, 04:11:18 PM
Ideal Gas Law:

Definitely doesn't work in Giants stadium, gas in New Jersey is far from ideal.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2015, 10:11:54 AM

Please.  You didn't even know what was going on in 1985.  You're not entitled to any Royals glory (unearned as it was) from that year.

Now I myself may not have actually been a Cardinals fan until 1986, but that's beside the point...

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 13, 2015, 10:15:43 AM
The local Yankees channel loves to replay that game; never gets old seeing Brett charge out of the dugout red-assed.

I remember the following year on The Baseball Bunch he re-enacted the incident with the San Diego Chicken.  I miss that show.  I also miss This Week in Baseball with Mel Allen :mellow:

edit: OMG found the episode and it was actually Rick Dempsey playing as George Brett https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF_9CaV1M24