NFL Postseason Megathread: Playoffs in the Post-Orton Era

Started by CountDeMoney, December 29, 2014, 02:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2015, 07:59:01 PM
My point was, the rulings were easier to make back then, when there were none of the silly ass "process of the catch" rules and other assorted nonsense involving the ground or "football move" interpretations. 

I will include the proper annotated end notes when making glib comments and arcane references for you in the future.

I am not sure what fantasy 80s you lived in but there was plenty of that back then, we eventually got the initial version of instant replay at the end or in the early 90s after all.  And yes if you are going to bitch about fumbles when discussing incomplete passes you might want to give a bit of context.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 11, 2015, 08:13:12 PM
Wonder if the Colts can pull it off in Foxboro.

Doubt it.  They are a pretty inconsistent team with a lot of holes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Is that the first time the Colts have played that press across the board coverage? 

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2015, 07:49:24 PM
Peyton Manning is the NFL's Greg Maddux.

I don't think that is fair. Maddux had a 3.27 ERA in the post season -- in line with his regular season ERA of 3.16. Both were really good for a pitcher in the heart of the steroid era.

Maddux, Manning, and Marino. If we are talking levels of postseason play, I'd say the one that is the outlier is Manning. His play has consistently fallen in the postseason. Marino never got a super bowl because he played on teams with crappy defenses and the team's running game philosophy was "fuck running the ball, we have Marino" (admittedly Marino apparently insisted on that philosophy). For a while it seemed like every year the Dolphins ended their season in Buffalo with a 41-37 loss with Marino having an aneurysm screaming at his teammates.

I think Manning's problem is that he just isn't a good cold weather quarterback (see the last month in addition to today). Also, his competitive advantage is preparation, and you can't really capitalize on that in the postseason when everyone goes all out in prep. If he didn't end up in a super bowl against Rex Grossman, he would probably be retiring without a ring.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2015, 08:05:41 PM
I am not sure what fantasy 80s you lived in but there was plenty of that back then, we eventually got the initial version of instant replay at the end or in the early 90s after all.  And yes if you are going to bitch about fumbles when discussing incomplete passes you might want to give a bit of context.

The ground was the context, but I appreciate your special needs.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on January 11, 2015, 08:39:36 PM
I think Manning's problem is that he just isn't a good cold weather quarterback (see the last month in addition to today). Also, his competitive advantage is preparation, and you can't really capitalize on that in the postseason when everyone goes all out in prep. If he didn't end up in a super bowl against Rex Grossman, he would probably be retiring without a ring.

I think he played in Indy without much support and when he got to Denver he showed his years.

Still, I've got 3 top-shelf pocket passers left vs. 1 zone read abomination.

jimmy olsen

Just watched the Dallas game. What a bullshit call, that was a catch.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Alcibiades

Quote from: sbr on January 11, 2015, 05:09:52 PM
Quote from: dps on January 11, 2015, 04:38:25 PM
I like GB, and I'm not a Dallas fan, but frankly that was a catch.

Does anyone actually pay attention to the rules anymore, or just spout off whatever idiotic nonsense runs through their head at any random time?

Isn't that what your dumb ass usually does?   :lol:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

CountDeMoney

QuoteOWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Gary Kubiak will not interview for any head coaching openings and will remain the Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator in 2015.

The New York Jets had requested permission to talk to Kubiak earlier this month, and the Chicago Bears were expected to pursue him.

"It is flattering and humbling to be invited to interview for a number of NFL head coaching positions, and I greatly appreciate these opportunities," Kubiak said in a statement released by the team. "But I have decided to stay with the Ravens."

Kubiak led the Ravens to their highest offensive ranking in 17 years, so it's not a surprise that a team would be interested in him to be its next head coach. Under Kubiak, the Ravens finished No. 12 in offense and set a franchise record for points scored in a season (409). "This is a special organization and we, like [Head] Coach [John] Harbaugh says, are building something great," Kubiak said. "I want to be a part of that and contribute in whatever ways I can."

MadBurgerMaker

CountDeMoney

Neil

So, here's the thing:  Even though respectable teams won 75% of the games this weekend, that one team is such a media darling that we're all fucked.  Every time we watch TV, there'll be some Peter King-style asshole telling us how the Patriots are such a great team and definitely deserve their victories and how their fanbase aren't a pack of inbred, hateful racists.  It's like the Axis won WWII, and NBC is being run by Lord Haw-Haw and CBS by Tokyo Rose.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

I hope next season all teams adopt the Patriots' strategy of declaring eligible receivers as ineligible the second before the snap so it's too late for the referee to inform the defense, and it drives everybody as nuts as the fad of calling timeouts at the snap before field goal attempts.

katmai

I don't know where the coverage you keep watching I keep hearing about Hawks and their run for back to back titles or the amazing Aaron Rodgers.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son