NFL Postseason Megathread: Playoffs in the Post-Orton Era

Started by CountDeMoney, December 29, 2014, 02:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

MadBurgerMaker

Well, no, since Green Bay would have just gone down and kicked the FG anyway with the way the Dallas D had been playing (like how they did that anyway when the Cowboys still had a shot and just needed to stop them). 

That Calvin Johnson rule produces some really strange catches and non-catches though. 

MadBurgerMaker

The Colts apparently are going to just entirely ignore the run plays in their playbook.  I know they suck at it, but damn.

Nice punt there though.

sbr

Quote from: dps on January 11, 2015, 04:38:25 PM
I like GB, and I'm not a Dallas fan, but frankly that was a catch.

Does anyone actually pay attention to the rules anymore, or just spout off whatever idiotic nonsense runs through their head at any random time?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on January 11, 2015, 05:09:52 PM
Does anyone actually pay attention to the rules anymore, or just spout off whatever idiotic nonsense runs through their head at any random time?

Okay, Mr. his hands just inadvertently hit the facemask. 

E:  And Mr. Faceguarding.  Yeah, maybe you shouldn't be saying shit about idiotic nonsense being spouted off.

E2: Anyway, Colts take the lead.

Admiral Yi

Peyton looks like a shadow of his former self.  He looks...ordinary.

MadBurgerMaker

He looked pretty damn good this year whenever I saw them play, but just seems off so far in this one. 

E:  Peyton Manning getting booed at home for suckage.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 11, 2015, 05:27:56 PM
Okay, Mr. his hands just inadvertently hit the facemask. 

E:  And Mr. Faceguarding.  Yeah, maybe you shouldn't be saying shit about idiotic nonsense being spouted off.

Lulz, faceguarding.

The rule does lead to some inconsistent interpretations.  So he's supposed to make a "football move" before the ground causes the player to lose possession, we get that.  But he wasn't juggling the ball at the catch, and he made two complete steps with the ball in his control, establishing possession.  So how many more "football moves" is a receiver expected to make during the "process of the catch"?

Just seems odd that the rules for possession and control for receiving plays--and the whole relatively recent concept of the "process of the catch"--are applied differently than they are to rushing plays.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 11, 2015, 05:43:10 PM
He looked pretty damn good this year whenever I saw them play, but just seems off so far in this one. 

E:  Peyton Manning getting booed at home for suckage.

Meh, Peyton hasn't looked good for about a month.  He was killing worms against KC and San Diego, even though they won with their running game.

MadBurgerMaker

Thomas isn't helping Manning out at all.

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2015, 05:54:09 PM
Lulz, faceguarding.

The rule does lead to some inconsistent interpretations.  So he's supposed to make a "football move" before the ground causes the player to lose possession, we get that.  But he wasn't juggling the ball at the catch, and he made two complete steps with the ball in his control, establishing possession.  So how many more "football moves" is a receiver expected to make during the "process of the catch"?

Just seems odd that the rules for possession and control for receiving plays--and the whole relatively recent concept of the "process of the catch"--are applied differently than they are to rushing plays.

I don't think they consider just the steps with the ball in possession a "football move," but that combined with the attempt to get to the goal line seems like it should be enough.

Neil

Looking at CdM's gif, it's pretty definitely not a catch.  I couldn't watch the game this morning, because I was still mega-depressed from yesterday's game.  He has the ball, but has he catches he he's getting knocked off-balance by the defender.  Because of that, he has to retain possession pretty much until he comes to rest on the ground.  When he loses control of the ball on the ground, it becomes an incompletion.

Man, Manning just looks bad.  I hope the Colts have a victory against the Gaytriots in them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2015, 04:17:48 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 11, 2015, 04:04:46 PM
Helluva catch/non-catch that got called back.  Guess he shouldn't have reached for the endzone like that.

I miss the 1980s, where the ground could not cause a fumble.

That wasn't a fumble.  Maybe that was a joke but damn it pissed me off all the time when Musburger would be all 'the ground cannot cause a fumble!' on an incomplete pass.  Um pretty sure the ground can cause a pass to be incomplete.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2015, 07:53:41 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2015, 04:17:48 PM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 11, 2015, 04:04:46 PM
Helluva catch/non-catch that got called back.  Guess he shouldn't have reached for the endzone like that.

I miss the 1980s, where the ground could not cause a fumble.

That wasn't a fumble.  Maybe that was a joke but damn it pissed me off all the time when Musburger would be all 'the ground cannot cause a fumble!' on an incomplete pass.  Um pretty sure the ground can cause a pass to be incomplete.

My point was, the rulings were easier to make back then, when there were none of the silly ass "process of the catch" rules and other assorted nonsense involving the ground or "football move" interpretations. 

I will include the proper annotated end notes when making glib comments and arcane references for you in the future.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive