News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows Phone

Started by derspiess, December 29, 2014, 12:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Probably not deserving of its own thread, but what the hell...

I had some Amazon gift card credit to burn, so I splurged and spend $29 on a Nokia Lumia 520, which was last year's Nokia entry level Windows Phone offering.  This was upgradeable to Windows Phone 8.1 and I've wanted a Windows Phone device to play around with.  I figured at the very least it's a cheap upgrade to my old Zune HD which I still sometimes use.

Really like the interface, in some ways a lot more than iOS or the various flavors of Android.  The device has a low res screen of 800x480 but still looks pretty good with the flat, high contrast Metro UI.  I know long-term I'd start to miss some of the things I have with Android, but I could live with having this as my everyday phone.  Just wish it functioned as a Media Center Extender somehow.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

I just picked up a 635, which is one up from the current budget model that replaced your 520. I think it's a 635 rather than a 630 because the network I've got it on needs a 4G model.

Didn't have any vouchers like you so spent like $75 on it, plus another $30 for network credit, as they are new to me. Still a very reasonable deal.

I'm liking it, well made, works well as a cellphone, usable internet and a handy camera for snaps.

I can see the navigation being usable, I just need to buy a fast and humongous sdhc card and start loading it with the offline maps.

Haven't really investigated the OS too much, but I like the way it led you through the set up and most of the possible annoy personal data sharing options were off by default, until it clearly explained the uses and benefits/cost  enabling those.

Useful having office on it, and I shall explore the utility of using one drive etc.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

May not be an issue for you, but the Facebook app is crap.  The way it aggregates social media (as does desktop Win 8.1) is kind of cool but takes some getting used to.  I totally dig the interface, which I've basically been using since the ZuneHD hit the scene.  Browser is okay but I still prefer Chrome on Android.  XBox integration is cool and is honestly one of the reasons I've wanted a Windows Phone device.

I still reach for my Samsung Galaxy S5 first when around the house.  Then my Nexus 7 if the GS5 is charging or if I want to watch a video.  But I'm still pretty happy with the 520 as a third device.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Yes, thanks for that.

Good guess on the social media size.  :)

Zanza

I'll get the Lumia 635 as my new phone at work now. Never used a Windows phone before, but it can only be better than a Blackberry...  :P

Admiral Yi

HELP!!!  NOOB!!! HELP!!!

This is my second cell phone ever, never figured out the first one, and that one didn't have a touch screen.

How do I save a phone number from a message with name to contacts?

How do I edit an existing contact to include a name?

Is it supposed to power off after like five minutes?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2015, 06:50:57 PM
HELP!!!  NOOB!!! HELP!!!

This is my second cell phone ever, never figured out the first one, and that one didn't have a touch screen.

How do I edit an existing contact to include a name?

Is it supposed to power off after like five minutes?

Did you sort this out?

There's now a 8.1 D update, which has a rather nifty voice recognition assistant on it, 'who' might be able to help you with these issues?

MadBurgerMaker

Just saw this, Yi.  Sorry it's so late.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2015, 06:50:57 PM

In the message, click on the person in the circle (bottom right), click the save at the bottom (the disk), then the plus sign to add them. 

QuoteHow do I edit an existing contact to include a name?

Go to people, click on the number, then click on the pencil to edit.

QuoteIs it supposed to power off after like five minutes?

No.  That's not good.

Admiral Yi

When you turn on your phone and all you get is a big battery with a little red bit at the bottom, does that mean you zapped your battery?  :(

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 20, 2015, 08:12:35 PM
When you turn on your phone and all you get is a big battery with a little red bit at the bottom, does that mean you zapped your battery?  :(

If it still does that after 30 minutes in the charger, then maybe.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Stop turning your phone off.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2015, 06:46:02 AM
Stop turning your phone off.

Why?

And does a zapped battery mean I need to buy a new phone, or can I get a replacement battery?

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

These things are not built to be turned off.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2015, 09:51:31 AM
These things are not built to be turned off.

I honestly and sincerely don't understand what you mean.  Like I should leave it on all the time, that will save the battery??