News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Will Charles be king?

Started by Josquius, December 25, 2014, 01:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will the Charles, POW, ever become King?

Yes. The queen will abdicate
1 (2.2%)
Yes. The queen can't live forever
28 (60.9%)
No. The Queen will outlive him.
7 (15.2%)
No. It will skip him and go to William
7 (15.2%)
No. There will be a republic
3 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Admiral Yi

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Grallon on December 25, 2014, 07:55:50 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 25, 2014, 04:58:58 PM
He's to ugly to be King.

No - his horse of a wife is too ugly to become queen.

G.

I'm not sure she will be given the title, she is currently just Duchess of Cornwall,  not Princess of Wales after all.

dps

Quote from: The Brain on December 25, 2014, 05:22:15 PM
What do the rules of succession say? Can the crown skip a generation while kids are alive? Or does he formally have to be a 15 min king?

Not sure, any of the Brits here know for sure? 

Though it's probably academic--I don't think he has any intention of renouncing the throne.  OTOH, it is possible that his mom will outlive him.  Again, I'm not 100% sure about British succession law in that situation--does William then become the heir apparent, or does it go to Andrew?

Richard Hakluyt

It goes Charles, William, then George.

I'd be very surprised if there is an abdication or renouncement. If the Queen goes gaga then I suspect that Charles will simply become Regent.

Could easily be wrong of course, the position of Pope seems to have just become another job in recent years; could well happen to the British monarchy.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 25, 2014, 08:20:37 PM
Could easily be wrong of course, the position of Pope seems to have just become another job in recent years; could well happen to the British monarchy.
True. But it still seems more or less inconceivable with the Queen.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 25, 2014, 08:25:51 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 25, 2014, 08:20:37 PM
True. But it still seems more or less inconceivable with the Queen.

Yes, I think so, she is old school and will do the right thing. I'm far less confident of Charles, he may balk at defending the Church of England for example.

Razgovory

The Queen is like Castro.  Someone who will never die.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I agree the queen will not abdicate and it is just the wishful thinking of many saying it will slip Charles, he is desperate to be king.
However I do really think there is a very strong chance his mother will outlive him.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

what will it change, William instead of Charles?  More tabloid press reports?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on December 25, 2014, 11:20:55 PM
I agree the queen will not abdicate and it is just the wishful thinking of many saying it will slip Charles, he is desperate to be king.
However I do really think there is a very strong chance his mother will outlive him.

I think Lizzy the Deuce would skip Charles, not because he's desperate or she will outlive him, but because she has a fundamental and concrete philosophy of the monarchy, and how a monarch should carry oneself--and I don't believe she will ever forgive him for the years of bad press and embarrassments surrounding him, Diana and that god-awful Rottweiler, Camilla.  That's simply not how a regent behaves.

It'll skip to William.  It's what the pheasants want anyway.

Drakken

Charles will be King. He has waiting for his turn far, far, far too long to be bumped just like that. Plus, as the whole Diana affair has shown, the Queen hates being forced into untraditional solutions by the passions of the mob.

If the Queen had ever a chance to legitimately and constitutionally petition Charles to step aside it was when he married Camilla Parker-Boyles. Her uncle was asked to abdicate for doing the exact same thing (marrying a divorced woman everybody except him was loathing), so there was a precedent. That she didn't, despite her own misgivings about Camilla, says it all that she does intend Charles to succeed her.

Admiral Yi

Is Camilla generally loathed?  I don't have that impression.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 26, 2014, 02:22:46 PM
I think Lizzy the Deuce would skip Charles, not because he's desperate or she will outlive him, but because she has a fundamental and concrete philosophy of the monarchy, and how a monarch should carry oneself--and I don't believe she will ever forgive him for the years of bad press and embarrassments surrounding him, Diana and that god-awful Rottweiler, Camilla.  That's simply not how a regent behaves.
They're family and it's the British press. The Windsors have massively upped their PR game lately.

It may just be a UK thing but now most people are generally happy that Charles got to marry Camilla and like them both. I think maybe 20 years ago you were right, but a lot's changed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2014, 04:27:09 PM
Is Camilla generally loathed?  I don't have that impression.
She used to be. Now she's relatively popular in the UK people even want her to be Queen now:

I think her and Charles are both seen as victims, as is Diana, of the old establishment. He couldn't marry someone he actually loved because she was a divorcee. Now everyone's far happier.
Let's bomb Russia!