"They are the most brutal and most dangerous enemy I have ever seen in my life."

Started by mongers, December 23, 2014, 02:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 23, 2014, 07:43:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 23, 2014, 07:36:09 PM
The fly in the ointment is just how poorly the Iraqi 'authorities' are doing, viewed a news report from the former US base in Anbar province, it was tentatively going to be the forward base for the Iraqi recapture of main Sunni cities and towns there.
The reporter and Iraqis said the gains they'd cautiously made over weeks were lost to ISIL in a day or so, who were now barely 10 miles away and all but surrounding the huge base.

The Iraqis seemed to think the handful of US forces there acting as trainers were all that was stopping the base from falling, they reasoned the US would never allow them to fall into IS hands; almost 'hostages' to fortune in a way. 

This evening I saw an AJ item about Iraqi police units training to retake Mosul, due to corruption, they'd not been paid, had just a few dozen AK47s to go around the several hundred of them and both the interviewer and the provincial governor, knew they stood no chance in any attack on IS in Mosul.

Which is why, before the end of Obama's term as president, I predict we will have the equivalent of three Combat Brigade Teams back on the ground in Iraq.

I tend to agree, because even though there's no desire to go back in, plus a poorly run Iraqi government who can't seem to get their act together, to have Iraq fall and ISIL gain a permanent hold and base of operations is about the worst possibility to deal with as they would get so much stronger. So we're almost forced to go back in, and probably some allies also from outside the region. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on December 23, 2014, 07:47:16 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2014, 07:46:13 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 23, 2014, 07:20:34 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2014, 07:09:14 PM
Is there any reason why we can't just ignore them?  Sure, get your citizens out, and bomb them a bit for murdering people.  But not sure if more needs to be done.

What do you care? It's not your tax dollars being spent in any case.

Because posting in languish is free :contract:

That doesn't explain why you care, though. Aren't you all about apathy?

Well, not enough to get all excited about it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2014, 08:03:58 PM
I'm with you, Mono.  Xi Jinping for Earth President.

I'm sure the Chinese intelligence services would be glad to have your input; you do have access to privileged information, right? Maybe you should look for a Confucius Institute in your area and participate enthusiastically. You may make some money down the line.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on December 23, 2014, 10:00:48 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 23, 2014, 09:59:10 PM
sure, you got Ide but it looks like he'll try on pretty much any odious iconoclasm in the hope that it makes him feel better about himself.

:(

Did I misread your sarcasm? If so, sorry :console:

I sometimes find it hard to tell your earnest opinions from you full on sarcasm, since you most frequently seem to be taking the half-ironic, half-genuine line.

Monoriu

Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2014, 07:59:23 PMJust me being apathetic isn't enough.  It is important to get everybody on board  ;)

I don't think you have what it takes to be a demagogue and rally people to your side. I mean, sure, you got Ide but it looks like he'll try on pretty much any odious iconoclasm in the hope that it makes him feel better about himself.

:lol:  I agree with you on that point.  Won't stop me from trying though.   :cool:

I have to add though, that the beauty of the apathy position is that I don't need to rally people to my side.  I only need to stop people from joining the other side :contract:

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on December 23, 2014, 10:07:24 PM
sure, you got Ide but it looks like he'll try on pretty much any odious iconoclasm in the hope that it makes him feel better about himself.

I sometimes find it hard to tell your earnest opinions from you full on sarcasm, since you most frequently seem to be taking the half-ironic, half-genuine line.

I'm not Ide. :unsure:

But yeah, it is sad because it seems true.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on December 23, 2014, 10:15:31 PM

I read your post correctly, indeed I had pressed the post button to quote it and comment you for the sentiment, but I got distracted by something on television.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 23, 2014, 08:52:13 PM
There's a shitload of Muslim refugees in CAR that are pretty much going through the exact same thing the Yazidis did; surrounded and starving.  UNHCR is getting busy signals from everyone they call for help.

The difference is, of course, that in CAR, we are, and have always been, Mono-apathetic.  In Iraq, it can be said we might have some responsibility...even if we gave the locals every chance in the world (and then some), and they chose to screw it up anyway.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on December 23, 2014, 10:15:31 PM

:lol: whoops  :Embarrass:

That's what I get for posting while trying to feed a toddler at the same time.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on December 23, 2014, 10:01:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 23, 2014, 07:43:46 PM
Which is why, before the end of Obama's term as president, I predict we will have the equivalent of three Combat Brigade Teams back on the ground in Iraq.

I tend to agree, because even though there's no desire to go back in, plus a poorly run Iraqi government who can't seem to get their act together, to have Iraq fall and ISIL gain a permanent hold and base of operations is about the worst possibility to deal with as they would get so much stronger. So we're almost forced to go back in, and probably some allies also from outside the region.

Yeah, if the region and the world wants it done right, there needs to be  the political acknowledgement that we're the only ones capable of getting it done on the ground to the extent that would show dividends.  The Iraqis can't, and will be unable to in the foreseeable future.

Snap up your chinstrap, Siegy, you're going back in the game in the 2nd half.

KRonn

News is reporting the story of a Jordanian military pilot captured after his plane was shot down during an attack mission against ISIL.

Legbiter

Yeah, probably better to blow your brains out than being captured by them.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

CountDeMoney

I hope Jordanians have better staying power than cutting and running after their pilot gets beheaded on the intranets.  But I think we know the answer to that.