"They are the most brutal and most dangerous enemy I have ever seen in my life."

Started by mongers, December 23, 2014, 02:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 23, 2014, 07:43:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 23, 2014, 07:36:09 PM
The fly in the ointment is just how poorly the Iraqi 'authorities' are doing, viewed a news report from the former US base in Anbar province, it was tentatively going to be the forward base for the Iraqi recapture of main Sunni cities and towns there.
The reporter and Iraqis said the gains they'd cautiously made over weeks were lost to ISIL in a day or so, who were now barely 10 miles away and all but surrounding the huge base.

The Iraqis seemed to think the handful of US forces there acting as trainers were all that was stopping the base from falling, they reasoned the US would never allow them to fall into IS hands; almost 'hostages' to fortune in a way. 

This evening I saw an AJ item about Iraqi police units training to retake Mosul, due to corruption, they'd not been paid, had just a few dozen AK47s to go around the several hundred of them and both the interviewer and the provincial governor, knew they stood no chance in any attack on IS in Mosul.

Which is why, before the end of Obama's term as president, I predict we will have the equivalent of three Combat Brigade Teams back on the ground in Iraq.

You're probably correct, but they'll be dropped into one hell of a mess.

Though if the original objective of 2003 was to create a failed state, then I think we can truly say mission accomplished.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on December 23, 2014, 07:47:16 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2014, 07:46:13 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 23, 2014, 07:20:34 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2014, 07:09:14 PM
Is there any reason why we can't just ignore them?  Sure, get your citizens out, and bomb them a bit for murdering people.  But not sure if more needs to be done.

What do you care? It's not your tax dollars being spent in any case.

Because posting in languish is free :contract:

That doesn't explain why you care, though. Aren't you all about apathy?

Which is exactly what I advocate in regards to ISIS :contract:

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 23, 2014, 07:47:31 PM
Is there any reason why we can't just ignore them?  Sure, get your citizens out, and bomb them a bit for murdering people.  But not sure if more needs to be done.

But they're blocking roads.  :(

By all accounts the ISIL guys are awesome at sorting out traffic in downtown Mosul; might Mono become their latest Asian recruit - Jihadi Traffic Cop to his friends.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 23, 2014, 07:42:54 PM
The best way to have dodged the local corruption would have been to run the place post-WW2-Japan style and build up the institutions ourselves.  But alas, we had lost our own way since then, and instead threw our own, Halliburton-style corruption at it, and mixed it in with good 'ol home-grown Iraqi corruption.

But really, as Seedy has suggested we would have been better lopping off the northern part for Kurdistan after Gulf War I, and let Saddam run the rest (with some good threats to keep him in line against repressing the Shiites in the south too much).

Northern Watch/Southern Watch was effective because it worked.   

But even after 2003, if they had just let Jay Garner do his thing in trying to work with the Republican Guard and put a right thinking Sunni general back in charge, all of this bullshit could've been avoided.  But nooooo...democracy, don't mess with Texas heh heh heh, KBR profiteering, Dick Cheney, etc.

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2014, 07:48:35 PM

Why advocate at all. Whatever the US wants to do is nine of your concern, as long as your pension isn't threatened.

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 23, 2014, 07:47:31 PM

:lol:

But they're blocking roads.  :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on December 23, 2014, 07:50:21 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2014, 07:48:35 PM

Why advocate at all. Whatever the US wants to do is nine of your concern, as long as your pension isn't threatened.

Just me being apathetic isn't enough.  It is important to get everybody on board  ;)

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2014, 07:59:23 PM
Just me being apathetic isn't enough.  It is important to get everybody on board  ;)

Most of us are human so it'll be hard to make us apathetic to all human suffering. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on December 23, 2014, 08:03:27 PM

Most of us are human so it'll be hard to make us apathetic to all human suffering. :mellow:

Why pick ISIS?  There are a lot of large-scale human suffering in all corners of the world.  People in North Korea suffer.  A lot of civil wars go on in Africa.

CountDeMoney

There's a shitload of Muslim refugees in CAR that are pretty much going through the exact same thing the Yazidis did; surrounded and starving.  UNHCR is getting busy signals from everyone they call for help.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2014, 08:36:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 23, 2014, 08:03:27 PM

Why pick ISIS?  There are a lot of large-scale human suffering in all corners of the world.  People in North Korea suffer.  A lot of civil wars go on in Africa.

Is ISIS the only incident where you have seen the US/Americans intervene? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on December 23, 2014, 07:59:23 PMJust me being apathetic isn't enough.  It is important to get everybody on board  ;)

I don't think you have what it takes to be a demagogue and rally people to your side. I mean, sure, you got Ide but it looks like he'll try on pretty much any odious iconoclasm in the hope that it makes him feel better about himself.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on December 23, 2014, 09:59:10 PM
sure, you got Ide but it looks like he'll try on pretty much any odious iconoclasm in the hope that it makes him feel better about himself.

:(