News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Xmas 2014 - The Languish Way.

Started by mongers, December 22, 2014, 06:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 23, 2014, 07:00:06 PM
I feel bad for the dudes I did arraignments for today who got locked up. :(  And the fucking jail phones weren't working so I couldn't call my clients who are held and just say "Hey, I haven't forgotten about you and I know you're in for Christmas."  Maybe I'll try from my cell phone tomorrow when I'm in NY.

But really, I was on fire at arraignments today, all passion and oratory.  Kept guys out who I really, really thought were going to be held. :yeah:

:cool:

That is quite cool, making small but Real differences in peoples lives.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

garbon

I'm currently drinking Chardonnay and wrapping presents. I hate wrapping presents...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

My family has mostly devolved to gift cards.  I am going to propose we dispense with such silly, symbolic back-and-forth money transfers (that usually even out anyway) and just make Christmas about being together as a family.

My niece and nephew still get gifts, but that is because they are minors.

garbon

I tried to suggest to my cousins that we dispense with gift giving. No one listened to me. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2014, 03:01:43 PM
Anyway, I did Xmas with my folks already since I'm avoiding my sister.

What'd she do?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on December 23, 2014, 11:57:31 PM
I tried to suggest to my cousins that we dispense with gift giving. No one listened to me. <_<

We had a consensus to do that two years ago, everybody was on board... But a few slipped presents anyways and my grandad got so flipped out over breaking tradition, it fucked up the whole year.  From now on, we just buy shit for each other  and that's that.  He's almost 84 and was on (I think) the first nuclear-powered sub during the Korean Police Action of '50-'53, so it's his rules I guess.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 23, 2014, 11:55:38 PM
My family has mostly devolved to gift cards.  I am going to propose we dispense with such silly, symbolic back-and-forth money transfers (that usually even out anyway) and just make Christmas about being together as a family.

Yup.  It's almost to the point of the scene in Donnie Brasco, where everybody gives everybody else holiday cards with cash in them.  :lol: Itsa bootiful ting.

QuoteMy niece and nephew still get gifts, but that is because they are minors.

And, as minors, you are legally obligated.

CountDeMoney

Family Knows Better Than To Fall For Mom's Little Bullshit Speech About No Presents This Year
News in Brief • Family • Local • holidays • ISSUE 50•50 • Dec 19, 2014

RICHMOND, VA—Saying that several of them had learned the hard way, members of the Gordon family confirmed to reporters Friday that they knew damn well not to believe Mom's little bullshit speech about not giving gifts this Christmas. "She doesn't mean a goddamn word of it," said Alex Gordon, 32, one of Ellen Gordon's three adult children, all of whom agreed that you'd have to be pretty fucking thick if you didn't see right through her little song and dance about just enjoying each other's company without the expense and obligation of giving presents. "She says this every year, but forget that—of course she wants to do gifts. Can you imagine the look on her face if there actually wasn't anything under the tree and we just sat around empty-handed like a bunch of assholes? No way is that happening." Gordon added that he and his siblings were taking their mom's suggestion that they could leave on Christmas Day if the ticket was cheaper for the utter horseshit that it is.

Tonitrus

My philosophy is do away with the obligatory gift/gift card/cash idea...but if you see something that makes a great present for a person, give it...and don't care if you get nothing that year in return.  Something for you will probably come around at a later Christmas...and if it doesn't, so what?

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on December 23, 2014, 11:06:08 PM
I'm currently drinking Chardonnay and wrapping presents. I hate wrapping presents...

Put them in gift bags.

Keep the gift bags.

We're in a depression.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 24, 2014, 12:04:57 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2014, 03:01:43 PM
Anyway, I did Xmas with my folks already since I'm avoiding my sister.

What'd she do?

Don't wanna talk about it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 24, 2014, 12:15:31 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 23, 2014, 11:06:08 PM

Put them in gift bags.

Keep the gift bags.

We're in a depression.

Some of the gift bags have been re-used - as I've borrowed all my supplies from my mother. :P

Anyway, didn't they say that US growth hit an 11 year high this year?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on December 24, 2014, 12:16:51 AM
Anyway, didn't they say that US growth hit an 11 year high this year?

And the market broke 18,000.  So it'll be a Merry fucking Christmas for people who live in Lexus Christmas Commercials.  Big fucking deal.

garbon