News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rare Clouds

Started by Malthus, June 16, 2009, 08:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Just wanted to pull a Timmay and share. I thought these rare cloud pictures were very cool.

http://www.zmescience.com/7-types-of-rare-and-amazing-clouds-w-pics-and-videos

Once, while canoing through northern Quebec, my father and I saw a spectacular cloud display: a self-contained thundersorm consisting of two perfectly symmetrical round clouds, one above the other, connected by a sort of funnel, with lightning flashing between the lower cloud and the upper. It drifted past on an otherwise perfectly cloudless day - and the setting sun stained it a bright red. Looked very much like an alien spacecraft of some sort ...

Edit: I see that this type of cloud is called a "shelf" cloud. I've never seen one before or since.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

Those are pretty cool. Wasn't expecting some of the very different looks, like mounds in the sky. Good stuff.

DontSayBanana

Nifty. The mammatus clouds are kinda creepy, though...
Experience bij!

Pedrito

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 16, 2009, 08:42:35 AM
Nifty. The mammatus clouds are kinda creepy, though...

The only time I saw them live, a severe hailstorm followed (egg-sized ice chunks) and the wind was so strong it pulled down two large trees in my father's garden. Luckily the hail was extremely localized, it destroyed the trees but the house, 30 meters away, was untouched.

Creepy indeed.

Nice pictures btw  :)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

saskganesh

cool stuff.

I've seen sequences of roll clouds before.
humans were created in their own image

Malthus

I've never seen most of these types of clouds (I've never seen Mammatus clouds, for example).

One rare weather phenominon I've seen that was very impressive was the steam rising from lake Ontario when the weather was extremely cold - the lake was extruding great geysers and billowing clouds of steam. A ver bizzare sight.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Those mammatus clouds do infact look really weird.

:cool:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

HVC

The only one i've seen is the mammatus one. Although i've only seen it twice, i find it very interesting to be at the leading edge of a storm where it pouring down, and a step away it's sunny.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

BuddhaRhubarb

cool. I've seen a few of those real oddball ones (roll ones mostly) but never the Mamamtus
:p

Malthus

The Brain

Some nice clouds there. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 17, 2009, 12:52:57 PM
Some nice clouds there. :)

Hey, wanna check out my clouds? :perv:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Living right on a river that feeds off the Delaware Bay, I do get to see a fair number rolls (saw a couple over the weekend) and the occasional shelf.
Experience bij!