NFL Week 16: I saw Commish Goodell kissing Santa Claus, and then lying about it

Started by CountDeMoney, December 20, 2014, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 23, 2014, 06:24:00 PM
Sis scored tickets at the last minute for Browns-Ravens, so that' her presents for me and Pops.  Two birds, one stone.  Figure it's the last time they play this year anyway.  :lol:

Ravens face an easier opponent than the Chargers do, which makes them the odds-on favorite to get that last playoff spot even though they don't control their own fate.  Will be the last home game, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Oh, and after a review of Monday Night's game I was on TV five times.  The only close shot got half my face, though.  And my purple hat looks almost like a regular old blue hat on TV :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Ravens face an easier opponent than the Chargers do, which makes them the odds-on favorite to get that last playoff spot even though they don't control their own fate.  Will be the last home game, though.

If they back in--and that's how it would happen--they're going in the wrong direction.  1 and done if they go.

derspiess

They have a shot against all likely opponents.  Indy is in a slump, Steelers are beatable depending whether Jeckyll or Hyde shows up, and the Bengals would have to beat the Ravens thrice in one season which is a tough task.

Ravens seem to struggle more against shitty teams than against good teams.

jimmy olsen

Saw this over at Grantland and I think it's pretty likely.

QuoteQ: Wouldn't it be just like Jay Cutler to come back for one game and play really well? We would end up with the 13th pick instead of the 8th pick, then we can spend eight months talking about how Cutler could be a good quarterback just with a different coach and OC. Then he can spend all of camp saying the right things and acting mature until the first sign of adversity and he will throw seven picks in three games and sink another season.
–Kevin, Pflugerville
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

People had been delusional about Cutler's abilities for quite a while.  Not sure if they'll buy into him again so easily, though.

Admiral Yi

He's a B/B- QB.  And honestly I don't think Chicago should build around an A QB, since they play outside, in the wind and cold.  They should build around run and defense.

But absolutely ridiculous to pay him the kind of money they did.

derspiess

I would say C+ maybe.  Which *can* be good enough if all the other pieces are in place.

I just noticed the past 2-3 years he got way too much credit with Bears fans when they won, when in fact many of those times the win was due in larger part to other factors.

Neil

I have a hard time seeing Cutler as anything better than a C-.  After all, he has some pretty effective pieces around him in terms of offensive players.  He just makes boneheaded plays, and is a caustic influence in the locker room.  The As are self-evident.  The Bs are guys like Roethlisberger, Rivers, Flacco and Romo, who don't rule their games, either due to inconsistency or just not being that kind of QB.  The Cs are guys who are just holding on as starters, the guys who give you the problem where they're good enough to keep their job, but not good enough to put the team on their shoulders, like Cutler, (maybe) Dalton and Kaepernick.  Then you get guys like Geno Smith, the assorted mooks in places like Tennessee or Jacksonville that are the Ds.  Finally, F is reserved for JaMarcus Russell-type players.  A special kind of terrible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Cutler has real talent on his own--more of a pocket passer than a gunslinger--but he's one of those who's only going to be successful as the tools he's given.  Right now he's not in the top 10 in the league, but he's not in the bottom 10, either. 
I think in a real system with real talent around him, he'd be in the top 10, as opposed to just a game manager.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Alex Smith is ruled out for KC's game against San Diego;  Chase Daniel will start.  The odds of Phillip Rivers in the post-season just increased substantially.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: katmai on December 26, 2014, 02:21:19 PM
He's always come across as a Million dollar arm, 10cent head.
Ah, the Al Davis wet dream!  Hostetler, George, Collins, Brooks, Culpepper, and Russell.  That's just since I started watching regularly.  That being said, even Cutler's rookie season looks a lot more mediocre when you take out the week 1 beatdown of a horrible Raiders team.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 26, 2014, 02:13:58 PM
Cutler has real talent on his own--more of a pocket passer than a gunslinger--but he's one of those who's only going to be successful as the tools he's given.  Right now he's not in the top 10 in the league, but he's not in the bottom 10, either. 
I think in a real system with real talent around him, he'd be in the top 10, as opposed to just a game manager.

What? :huh:

Marc Trestman's offensive system has never really been questioned.  It made Jimmy Claussen look like a reasonable NFL QB against the #2 defense in the league for fucks sake.  When he made the proper drop, read and throw he was throwing to open guys.  I don't think any of Claussen's mistakes were on the "system".

Real Talent?  As opposed to a pretty good O-line; Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffries (one of the Top 3-4 WR combos in the league); Marcellus Bennett (a very nice TE); Matt Forte (one of the most talented RBs in the league)?   What team has significantly better offensive skill players than that?

Because of the teams he has played for and the way the local affiliates choose games I haven't seen Cutler play that much, but I think the " real talent on his own" is a big part of the problem.  He is so physically talented that he lets his fundamentals go and doesn't make the proper drop, read and throw.    He may have all of the arm talent in the world, but he ain't no Bugs Bunny.  The ball isn't going directly through or changing directions midair to go around a defender no matter how many times he tries.