News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's your favourite unknown movie ?

Started by Oexmelin, June 15, 2009, 05:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Define unknown as you will: a movie which you will always be the only one in your group of friends to have seen, perhaps multiple times.

Mine is perhaps (I might change my mind tomorrow) Una pura formalità by Giuseppe Tornatore, for it is a blend of my favourite elements: a huis clos, themes revolving around memory, inquiry, repentance...

A writer (G. Depardieu, when he was an actor) is detained in the middle of the night by a policemen (Roman Polanski) for what seems at first «a simple formality». Pretty soon, however, it is clear that a crime was committed and the writer can seem to remember what he was doing that night...
Que le grand cric me croque !

Queequeg

Night of the Hunter is in that category a little bit, though I've made most of my friends watch it, and the random person has seen it. 

Maybe Bodas de Sangre, Paprika and The Apple too.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Primer.  One of my fave all-time flicks. 
Nobody I know has ever heard of it, let alone seen it.  Some of you have, but we're eclectic like that.

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 15, 2009, 05:15:15 PM
Nobody I know has ever heard of it, let alone seen it.  Some of you have, but we're eclectic like that.
Saw it, couldn't make much sense of it, got the impression I'd have to watch it two or more times to really understand most of what is going on. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Oexmelin

@Spellus: Why did I know you would be among the first to answer ? :lol:

Please add a small description of the movie, since they stand a great chance of, you know, be unknown...
Que le grand cric me croque !

Neil

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 15, 2009, 05:16:47 PM
I was going to say, I was shocked that it wasn't Spellus that started this thread.

I guess if it had been him, the thread title would have been 'NIGHT OF THE HUNTER!!!'
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on June 15, 2009, 05:16:29 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 15, 2009, 05:15:15 PM
Saw it, couldn't make much sense of it, got the impression I'd have to watch it two or more times to really understand most of what is going on.

Yes, you have to do that.  And sometime around the middle of the third viewing in a row, you'll have an Aristotelian epiphany that'll pop a vein.

Queequeg

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 15, 2009, 05:16:47 PM

Because I spent 5/7 nights of my teenage years at Doc Films?

Night of the Hunter: We (well, me, and later on Malthus) have talked a lot about it in the Movie thread.  Thriller/horror movie/dark comedy set in West Virginia during the Depression, made in 1955.  Robert Mitchum stars as murderous preacher out to get money stolen by dead father of the protagonist, a young kid.  Fantastically dark, terrifying in bits and hilarious in others, Mitchum delivers one of the great all time performances. Watch with the better known original Cape Fear for a fantastic night of Mitchum villainy.

Bodas de Sangre: I think this is known in Iberia.  Flamenco "adaptation" (or rather, filming of a supposed dress rehearsal) of the play by Lorca.  Fantastic music, some interesting acting and fantastic technique.  Wonderful movie.

Paprika: Cronenburg did an Anime movie, and did a lot of exstacy, it'd end up looking something like Paprika.  Wonderful.

I like some Egoyan movies, but I know at least Oex has seen the better ones.  Ararat isn't by any means a favorite but I end up defending it when anyone starts talking about it.

Anything by Tarkovsky I am a fan of, but if you like Tarkovsky you have already heard of him and seen his movies. 

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 15, 2009, 05:22:49 PM
Yes, you have to do that.  And sometime around the middle of the third viewing in a row, you'll have an Aristotelian epiphany that'll pop a vein.
I believe it.   :D

I liked it, but felt when I rented it that I didn't have the time to watch it over again so that I could really appreciate it. 

Habsburg

Oh look!  I have a little something prepared.  :D

Edward II (Jarman, 1991)

Christopher Marlowe's 16th century play based on the 14th century Monarch Edward II, is the basis for director Derek Jarman's film Edward II.  Jarman sets the film's time period ambiguosly, hints of the 14th century in it's palace settings, as well in the 20th century with sounds of modern weaponry.   In this mix Jarman manages to achieve a timelessness to his central themes of intorerence, homophobia, and class tensions. 

Jarman asks the viewer to decide, is King Edward merely an obssessed and incapable ruler, uninterested in his inheritance?  Or is Edward a victim of his own social elite and their moral norms?  Edward's gay shallow lover Gaveston is of the peasant class and anti-church.  Edward who has done his upmost duty with his wife the French Isabella in producing an heir, elects to be upfront and "out" with his homosexual relationship.  What is worse, Edward shows intensions of allowing Gaveston equal say in governance.  This threatens his nobility, the church, and his Queen.  Thus the stage is set for Edward's downfall, a Monarch may not rule without the support of at least part of his or her church elite, military command, and noble classes. 

For it's appearance, Jarman mixes minimal with dreamlike to excellent effect giving the viewer a sense of intrigue and oppression, central to his themes.  His entire cast delivers excellent work.  Steven Waddington presents an Edward who as the film continues, allows the polarization of the viewer into the hero or wicked camp.  Tilda Swinton, beautifully dressed by Sandy Powell, is powerful as Queen Isabella.  Swinton, winner at Venice for this film, moves from a wife and loyal ally to fierce enemy with complete conviction.  Jarman creates a Monster in Isabella, and we find ourselves asking, is her Regency any better for England?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habsburg on June 15, 2009, 05:36:31 PM

Edward II (Jarman, 1991)

Sorry, but not nearly obscure enough.  Hell, even I saw it at the old Charles Theater.

Besides, I sincerely doubt that it qualifies for the OP, which states--

Quotea movie which you will always be the only one in your group of friends to have seen, perhaps multiple times.

--because you and I both know that, considering the film's heavy reliance on the pillowbiter theme, the rest of your gay, period-piece loving friends have seen it, too.

Sheilbh

Taste of Cherry.  An Iranian film directed by Abbas Kiarostami.  It's a remarkable piece about a man who is planning to kill himself.  He's dug the whole outside the city and rides around trying to find someone who will just fill in the grave at dawn the next day.  It's a beautiful and very simple film.

I love Ken Loach and he is criminally under-appreciated in this country.  If you mention that you like him you will generally get a blank stare in return.  I understand he's well-loved abroad so I don't know if he counts as someone who makes unknown films.

Naked, I'm not sure if this is well known or not.  But it's a brilliant Mike Leigh film starring David Thewlis.  An unpleasant but charming Northern anti-hero roams around London for a night meeting various characters most seedy, some not and observes them and, generally, details his rather sad and nihilist view on everything.

I also like Habs's Edward II
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Habsburg on June 15, 2009, 05:36:31 PM

Edward II (Jarman, 1991)

Christopher Marlowe's 16th century play based on the 14th century Monarch Edward II, is the basis for director Derek Jarman's film Edward II.  Jarman sets the film's time period ambiguosly, hints of the 14th century in it's palace settings, as well in the 20th century with sounds of modern weaponry.   In this mix Jarman manages to achieve a timelessness to his central themes of intorerence, homophobia, and class tensions. 

Jarman asks the viewer to decide, is King Edward merely an obssessed and incapable ruler, uninterested in his inheritance?  Or is Edward a victim of his own social elite and their moral norms?  Edward's gay shallow lover Gaveston is of the peasant class and anti-church.  Edward who has done his upmost duty with his wife the French Isabella in producing an heir, elects to be upfront and "out" with his homosexual relationship.  What is worse, Edward shows intensions of allowing Gaveston equal say in governance.  This threatens his nobility, the church, and his Queen.  Thus the stage is set for Edward's downfall, a Monarch may not rule without the support of at least part of his or her church elite, military command, and noble classes. 

For it's appearance, Jarman mixes minimal with dreamlike to excellent effect giving the viewer a sense of intrigue and oppression, central to his themes.  His entire cast delivers excellent work.  Steven Waddington presents an Edward who as the film continues, allows the polarization of the viewer into the hero or wicked camp.  Tilda Swinton, beautifully dressed by Sandy Powell, is powerful as Queen Isabella.  Swinton, winner at Venice for this film, moves from a wife and loyal ally to fierce enemy with complete conviction.  Jarman creates a Monster in Isabella, and we find ourselves asking, is her Regency any better for England?

Honey, Jarman isn't unknown. Perhaps on a fagless board, but this ain't one. :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2009, 05:49:16 PM
Naked, I'm not sure if this is well known or not.  But it's a brilliant Mike Leigh film starring David Thewlis.  An unpleasant but charming Northern anti-hero roams around London for a night meeting various characters most seedy, some not and observes them and, generally, details his rather sad and nihilist view on everything.

lol, another gem I saw at the old Charles.
The conversation he has with the night watchman culminating with the revelation of how the ISBN is the Mark of The Beast in the age of technopoly is classic.