Revolution a distant memory as Egypt escalates repression

Started by Syt, December 13, 2014, 12:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on December 13, 2014, 12:32:52 PM"They hanker for stability more than freedom." => A common theme in many countries these days.

People do that when they are afraid. And politicians and media make sure they are, whether it's ebola,  terrorism or immigrants taking our jobs.

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on December 14, 2014, 01:02:30 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 13, 2014, 07:54:55 PM
3 or 10 or 300, the point is you don't have freedom of assembly.

I also have freedom to use roads  :P  We need to protect public order by imposing some restrictions on public assembly, otherwise it will be legal to occupy highways indefinitely.  The point is that those restrictions have to be carried out in a reasonable and fair manner.  Every year in HK, hundreds of thousands march on different dates to protest against the government, and those protests do receive police permission.  So I think there is good balance.

Just go the fuck away. Will you?

You are currently easily the single most despicable poster on Languish. More than even the likes of Dorsey, Hortlund or Hansmeister at the height of his propaganda spree.

The Brain

I can't help thinking that he needs a big cock up his ass on a regular basis to loosen the fuck up. Ask for fucking anal, dude.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on December 14, 2014, 03:18:58 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 14, 2014, 01:02:30 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 13, 2014, 07:54:55 PM
3 or 10 or 300, the point is you don't have freedom of assembly.

I also have freedom to use roads  :P  We need to protect public order by imposing some restrictions on public assembly, otherwise it will be legal to occupy highways indefinitely.  The point is that those restrictions have to be carried out in a reasonable and fair manner.  Every year in HK, hundreds of thousands march on different dates to protest against the government, and those protests do receive police permission.  So I think there is good balance.

Just go the fuck away. Will you?

You are currently easily the single most despicable poster on Languish. More than even the likes of Dorsey, Hortlund or Hansmeister at the height of his propaganda spree.

But they aren't anime fans  :P

Ideologue

Martinus makes everything personal.

Sure, Mono abides an evil system.  Don't we all?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 14, 2014, 03:26:08 AM
Lighten the fuck up Francis.

You need to post a picture of Hulka to get the full Lighten Up effect.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Monoriu on December 14, 2014, 03:07:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2014, 02:57:45 AM
With a fickle dictatorship, you also don't know what you'll get in the future.

That's true, of course, but I am not sure that these arguments are useful to the tens or hundreds of thousands who lost their lives in Syria.  It is easy to sit in your armchair and say "let's overthrow all dictatorships!"  People who actually live under those regimes and have to suffer the consequences of these actions may have different opinions.

That's a question of when, not if.

Those people are going to have to deal with that at some point anyway. The dictatorship-for-stability argument has always been a bit flawed due to the fact that dictatorships are inherently more fragile. Peoples' lifetimes are finite, and transitions are always dangerous.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 14, 2014, 04:32:28 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 14, 2014, 03:07:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2014, 02:57:45 AM
With a fickle dictatorship, you also don't know what you'll get in the future.

That's true, of course, but I am not sure that these arguments are useful to the tens or hundreds of thousands who lost their lives in Syria.  It is easy to sit in your armchair and say "let's overthrow all dictatorships!"  People who actually live under those regimes and have to suffer the consequences of these actions may have different opinions.

That's a question of when, not if.

Those people are going to have to deal with that at some point anyway. The dictatorship-for-stability argument has always been a bit flawed due to the fact that dictatorships are inherently more fragile. Peoples' lifetimes are finite, and transitions are always dangerous.

I think it is a bit more complicated than that.  One, there are obviously many different types of dictatorships.  People may have greater incentive to overthrow a North Korean-style dictatorship than the party in China, where the living standard of the average Joe has improved immeasurably in the past two decades.  Two, are you looking at this from a social point of view or an individual point of view?  There is usually very little that an individual can do about social change. 

Razgovory

Mono can you name a dictatorship that exists in the present with its current government, that is older then a 100 years old?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2014, 05:31:33 PM
Mono can you name a dictatorship that exists in the present with its current government, that is older then a 100 years old?

If you hate the communist government in China so much, then go to Tian An Men yourself and protest against it.  Stop trying to tell me to do it, because I am not interested :contract:

Viking

Quote from: Monoriu on December 14, 2014, 05:41:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 14, 2014, 05:31:33 PM

If you hate the communist government in China so much, then go to Tian An Men yourself and protest against it.  Stop trying to tell me to do it, because I am not interested :contract:

"we" already did, many times, again and again.

It's not easy and often it doesn't take the first time round.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.