News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Case of the Missing Wine

Started by OttoVonBismarck, December 12, 2014, 06:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

If Otto knew the old guy's address, but couldn't find his phone number, why not send him a note by US mail?

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on December 16, 2014, 08:09:41 PM
If Otto knew the old guy's address, but couldn't find his phone number, why not send him a note by US mail?

A: the price of a stamp is unreasonable to expend on fixing FedEx's mistake.

(and it would mean he couldn't drink the wine himself)

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2014, 05:03:16 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 16, 2014, 04:54:26 PM
Thanks. That's insane though, doesn't FedEx protect the privacy of the public at all?

People's addresses are printed in the phone book.  The fact that Hiram von Biscuit lives at 2001 Coonkiller Lane is not shielded by the right to privacy.

Besides it would be weird if FedEx wouldn't admit to where they dropped off a package that went to the wrong place...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2014, 11:51:35 PM
Quote from: DGuller on December 16, 2014, 08:09:41 PM

A: the price of a stamp is unreasonable to expend on fixing FedEx's mistake.

(and it would mean he couldn't drink the wine himself)

Yeah, Otto shouldn't have to spend 49 cents to be denied a right to drink free wine! :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Can't we all agree Otto is worse than Hitler?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: katmai on December 17, 2014, 12:11:58 AM

No, as stealing wine isn't at all comparable to mass executions, Marti.

Ed Anger

HEY NOW. That is my title. :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

I'm not sure.  Otto is a very bad person, no doubt, and what he did is beyond the pale, but it's not like Hitler was a saint either.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 17, 2014, 12:17:45 AM
HEY NOW. That is my title. :mad:

No, no, no... you're "LITERALLY worse than Hitler."

Otto's just "worse than Hitler."
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2014, 12:17:02 AM

No, as stealing wine isn't at all comparable to mass executions, Marti.

Besides, Hitler didn't drink much, so he probably wouldn't have stolen the wine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2014, 12:07:08 AM
Thanks. That's insane though, doesn't FedEx protect the privacy of the public at all?

People's addresses are printed in the phone book.  The fact that Hiram von Biscuit lives at 2001 Coonkiller Lane is not shielded by the right to privacy.

Besides it would be weird if FedEx wouldn't admit to where they dropped off a package that went to the wrong place...

I would be pretty fucking upset if a company gave out my name and address to their customers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Who said they gave out the name? And again, I don't see why it would be a secret for them to tell where they had left a package.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on December 17, 2014, 11:15:24 AM

I would be pretty fucking upset if a company gave out my name and address to their customers.

Even if they didn't give the Otto's name out? To be honest, I don't see how saying "we dropped your wine at address X" constitutes giving out your address to someone. Personal data is only relevant if it is connected to other personal data (e.g. "A lives at address X"). Simply naming your address without any reference to your other personal data is not in any way problematic, imo.

Gups

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 16, 2014, 04:43:55 PM
I would have poured it out in front of the old man. Then gave him 10 seconds to get off my property. That is how you deal with plebs.

Take a sip first. Spit it out in disgust Tell him the wine is impertinent and that while he might well be the kind of imbecile  amused by its rustic pretensions, you most certainly are not. Then the above but aim a kick at his arse on the way out.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on December 17, 2014, 11:24:44 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 17, 2014, 11:15:24 AM

Even if they didn't give the Otto's name out? To be honest, I don't see how saying "we dropped your wine at address X" constitutes giving out your address to someone. Personal data is only relevant if it is connected to other personal data (e.g. "A lives at address X"). Simply naming your address without any reference to your other personal data is not in any way problematic, imo.

Is this Asperger central? Oh right, I'm on Languish.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.