News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Those Northern Lights

Started by Norgy, December 18, 2014, 05:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

VG TV of Norway has some pretty video for you, if never saw those northern lights, or aurora borealis for you Latin-minded.

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/vaer-og-uvaer/tonight-you-can-hopefully-watch-the-northern-lights-live-on-tv/a/23358768/

Suffer through 20 seconds of commercials, and lo, and behold, some pretty great footage from Tromsø.

Admiral Yi

Two token minorities in one commercial seems like overkill.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2014, 05:59:20 PM
Two token minorities in one commercial seems like overkill.

The one lady was literally hugging a tree.  :P

This is kind of a neat idea. Does the burning log come on after this is over?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Viking

Sometimes I forget how monumentally fortunate I have been in my life to see what I have seen.

My reaction to northern lights? Shit, if it isn't cold already it's gonna get colder. Seeing the northern lights means a cloudless sky, in winter that means a high pressure area over or near me, and in winter, that means -20 or -30 deg C.

My reaction to epic fjords? I really should get an office with a street view rather than a fjord view because, ffs, when the storm hits horizontal hail will be machine gunning my window.

My reaction to glaciers that fill the horizon? Damn, I'd rather be inside drinking beer.

My reaction to massive free flowing water falls? Shit, I'm wet and will need to put on new trousers.

My reaction to geysers? Hmm, wonder if the gift shop has my preferred brand of pastilles.

I'm jaded, I now, but, seriously people do take a look and, if you can get far north during winter, find yourself a high pressure zone, hopefully with some solar flare activity going on because it is an epic sight to behold, I know, I've seen the awe and wonder in the faces of the furriners I suggested to look up when they are in my neck of the woods complaining about the cold.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Norgy

Well, I guess we both are jaded in that way.

I saw Aurora Borealis for the first time during Easter 1991. It was spreading all over the sky, and I actually got a bit worried, so I ran indoors in our cabin and asked my stepdad WTF was going on. (I was out for a cig and a pee).

We went outside again and watched it. It was like some alien invasion. Feeling that fresh mountain air, and watching the sky come alive. It was something I will never forget. I understand why tourists come here.

The waterfalls and fjords impress me quite a bit less, but when you've been dragged around all of Norway as a child, I guess it loses its news value. What still impresses me, and makes me feel great is the fresh air in the woods, the calm of what seems like untouched land even along trails, the smell of earth and just a light drizzle of rain falling. It's living. The birds fly, and you will see at least one wild animal.

But seriously, if you people ever should travel to this rather useless country, go to Lofoten. It's about the most beautiful place on Earth in summer.

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on December 18, 2014, 06:37:19 PM

I saw Aurora Borealis for the first time during Easter 1991. It was spreading all over the sky, and I actually got a bit worried, so I ran indoors in our cabin and asked my stepdad WTF was going on. (I was out for a cig and a pee).

We went outside again and watched it. It was like some alien invasion. Feeling that fresh mountain air, and watching the sky come alive. It was something I will never forget. I understand why tourists come here.

The waterfalls and fjords impress me quite a bit less, but when you've been dragged around all of Norway as a child, I guess it loses its news value. What still impresses me, and makes me feel great is the fresh air in the woods, the calm of what seems like untouched land even along trails, the smell of earth and just a light drizzle of rain falling. It's living. The birds fly, and you will see at least one wild animal.

But seriously, if you people ever should travel to this rather useless country, go to Lofoten. It's about the most beautiful place on Earth in summer.

Poetry. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: Norgy on December 18, 2014, 06:37:19 PM

If you were a dog person rather than a cat person you'd get outdoors more often.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Norgy

Him being an outdoors cat and with no hearing, I kind of get outdoors when I wouldn't want to.

As for myself, I did 1200 kms of hiking altogether this year. Now I'm prepping my skis. So there's that.

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on December 18, 2014, 07:53:28 PM
Him being an outdoors cat and with no hearing, I kind of get outdoors when I wouldn't want to.

As for myself, I did 1200 kms of hiking altogether this year. Now I'm prepping my skis. So there's that.

Plus there's the metric of Viking having posted nearly 5 times more often than you on Languish.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"