The Late, Late, Late Government Shutdown Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, December 11, 2014, 09:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 11, 2014, 11:44:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2014, 11:41:02 PM
There was a big discussion about Warren.

She didn't do anything except publicly criticize the agreement. Seedy made it sound like she was gonna filibuster or something.

She simply read the small print that was put in at the last minute. 

Razgovory

Interesting question.  If both Rand Paul and Warren or Cruz and Warren are against it does that mean Speiss Stands with Warren or Cruises with her?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

To be perfectly honest, I've had so much going on lately that I hadn't read much about the whole thing-- it really crept up on me.  My gut tells me to follow Cruz and Paul, so if she is with them on this I suppose I might be Explorin' with Warren.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Wow, I think you might be a good example of how it isn't generally a good idea to just go with one's gut. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

If I got this right by reporting, Obama and Boinker both pushed this so to speak. Both party's extreme elements are in a twit.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on December 12, 2014, 10:11:52 AM
My gut tells me to follow Cruz and Paul

There are good GI medications for that.  See a doctor before your condition worsens.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 12, 2014, 03:37:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 12, 2014, 10:11:52 AM
My gut tells me to follow Cruz and Paul

There are good GI medications for that.  See a doctor before your condition worsens.

I'm already on Pentasa. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2014, 11:27:50 PM
Wait, why is this Warren's fault?  Isn't there already a bloc of Republicans against this?
They're both against it for different reasons.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

So the Dems will be the hostage takers, bombers, terroristas this time! Lol. Same labels tossed at Repubs, and I'm sure , the Repubs also felt they had good reason for the last faux shut down too. And it isn't even a govt. shutdown, these things just shut down a small, tiny portion of the government but our pols do all they can to make sure the "shut down" is as visible as possible. Like shutting down the WW2 memorial to vets but later opened up for an illegal immigrant demonstration. Lol. This stuff is so cynical and we're the pawns in the game they play. Most of all, the Dems are annoyed mainly over one item in the massive tax bill? Repubs are annoyed at other parts too. Those issues get all the noise but the bill is massive, so WTF else is in this massive tax bill to be annoyed over by all of us paying the freight?    :cool:

Admiral Yi

4 to 1 there's no shutdown before the next Congress is seated.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 12, 2014, 07:52:19 PM
4 to 1 there's no shutdown before the next Congress is seated.

Yeah I agree, no shutdown.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2014, 10:51:12 PM
Do you know what Dodd-Frank did to derivatives, and what this amendment would change?

Well, for starters, you're painting with too broad a brush... I think the particular beast you're looking for is "security-based swaps," which are regulated by the SEC (everything else falls under the CFTC).

1- the proposed amendments create a double-Irish-like loophole with respect to US branches of foreign banks not being required to be insured.

2- since banks proved they couldn't be trusted to act in their depositors' best interests with respect to swaps and security-based swaps, the gub'mint told them they had to keep their deposit and swap operations separate from each other.  There were allowances for smaller operations with very limited exposure to swaps, and these proposed amendments greatly increase the exposure before the split requirement comes into play.

I'm also going to call your bluff and say you probably haven't sat down and read pp. 615-18 of the bill, which effectively tears down the Chinese wall by filling it with holes.  If you'd like to, here it is in all its glory, and no, I'm not copy-pasting three and a half pages: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CPRT-113HPRT91668/pdf/CPRT-113HPRT91668.pdf
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

After reading pages 615 to 618 of that PDF I still have no idea what the change would do.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

All right, so now that Elizabeth Warren (D-Harvard) and Ted Cruz (R-Harvard) have had their say...what's the verdict?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers