The Late, Late, Late Government Shutdown Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, December 11, 2014, 09:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

It says it takes the requirement to split the banking divisions away. That is one of the main Dodd-Frank components IIRC.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2014, 10:18:39 PM
You don't really know what Dodd-Frank does to derivatives, you have know idea what would change under this bill, but you're absolutely sure it's a terrible idea.

How can removing the provision that prohibits the exposure of insured deposits to these transactions actually be a good idea?

Edit:  forgot to add, "you condescending cocksucker."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2014, 10:18:39 PM
You don't really know what Dodd-Frank does to derivatives, you have know idea what would change under this bill, but you're absolutely sure it's a terrible idea.

This isn't even a case of something bad could happen, this is a case of something bad already did, and the crybabies want to gut the safety net that was built in response because it's hurting their marketing efforts and thus their profit.

Sorry dude, I'll take businesses not being able to go to banks as a "one-stop shop" over risking another repeat of the 2008 meltdown any day.
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Yeah I wonder why Obama agreed to that.

Makes me also wonder what else they brought to the table that he talked them out of.

derspiess

Quote from: Someone Who Hacked Seedy's Account on December 11, 2014, 10:09:26 PM
No, let's not look out for the American economy or the taxpayer or anything. 

I hope all of you mindless monkeys lose everything the next time the market melts on derivatives.  Each and every one of you reduced to cans of dog food.  Suckers.

:lmfao:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2014, 09:59:38 PM
I'm feeling much better about my bet now that the Democratic field is filling in.

Isn't it still Hillary's to lose?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 11, 2014, 10:45:07 PM
This isn't even a case of something bad could happen, this is a case of something bad already did, and the crybabies want to gut the safety net that was built in response because it's hurting their marketing efforts and thus their profit.

Sorry dude, I'll take businesses not being able to go to banks as a "one-stop shop" over risking another repeat of the 2008 meltdown any day.

Do you know what Dodd-Frank did to derivatives, and what this amendment would change?

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

MadImmortalMan

So it appears the GOP almost couldn't even pass it because their members wanted something in there blocking Obama's executive action on immigration. Sheesh.

Well maybe that's what Boehner gave up in the compromise.

Razgovory

Wait, why is this Warren's fault?  Isn't there already a bloc of Republicans against this?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2014, 11:41:02 PM
There was a big discussion about Warren.

She didn't do anything except publicly criticize the agreement. Seedy made it sound like she was gonna filibuster or something.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on December 11, 2014, 11:24:04 PM
Where's your Magic Negro Messiah now, Seedy Em?

Mailing it in, like all lame ducks do.