Loathe with a repressed wellspring of love
1 (4.2%)
Jaron goes electric
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

celedhring

Cinnamon Girl.

celedhring

And I really like hugely emotional songs being performed by people that aren't great technical singers or just don't have a booming voice, makes them sound more sincere in my book. Early Springsteen was a mess, for example, and seeing clips from that time as he struggles to hit the high notes of Thunder Road chills my spine.

Caliga

Quote from: celedhring on December 10, 2014, 03:42:17 AM
Cinnamon Girl.
The Type O Negative cover of Cinnamon Girl is way better than the original. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: celedhring on December 10, 2014, 03:48:06 AM
And I really like hugely emotional songs being performed by people that aren't great technical singers or just don't have a booming voice, makes them sound more sincere in my book. Early Springsteen was a mess, for example, and seeing clips from that time as he struggles to hit the high notes of Thunder Road chills my spine.
Thunder Road.  :wub:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 09, 2014, 10:21:50 PM
Cortez the Killer > all

My inner historian makes me want to kill *him* when I hear that one.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on December 09, 2014, 10:21:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 09, 2014, 09:47:09 PM
I've not heard much Neil Young, but when I hear it I generally like it.
IMO his best songs are "After the Goldrush", "Southern Man", "Ohio", and "Old Man".

All great.

I would have thought this crowd would like "A Man Needs a Maid".  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on December 10, 2014, 10:06:40 AM
Quote from: Caliga on December 09, 2014, 10:21:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 09, 2014, 09:47:09 PM
I've not heard much Neil Young, but when I hear it I generally like it.
IMO his best songs are "After the Goldrush", "Southern Man", "Ohio", and "Old Man".

All great.

I would have thought this crowd would like "A Man Needs a Maid".  :lol:

Yeah, interesting lyrics. The songs of his I listened too recently have made me think, I'll have to check out those lyrics more carefully, read them like the poetry the best of them can be; which I guess is what he and Dylan are also, poets.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 08, 2014, 10:46:15 PM
Ed is either trolling, or has been smoking some purple haze.  :P

It's Ed.  Do you really have to ask?

Quote from: Caliga on December 08, 2014, 10:45:01 PM
In general I agree with your post except for your comment on Neil Young, who I think has (had?) a beautiful voice.

He's got a great voice for some things.  I love CSNY, but I hate most of his solo work (some exceptions).  In fact, I'll go ahead and take that back.  Neil Young's problem isn't his voice, it's his scattershot songwriting.  When he's on, he's on, but when he's off, he's off-key and painful to listen to (see: Neil's cover of John Lennon's "Imagine."  It's the worst cover I've heard, bar none, and that's including the Cardigans' "Iron Man").
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Rage Against The Machine does a much better Maggie's Farm than anybody else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 10, 2014, 10:24:50 AM

Yuck.  Zack de la Rocha- now there's a voice I can't stand.  Which is a shame, because I love Tom Morello's work.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 10, 2014, 10:30:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 10, 2014, 10:24:50 AM

Yuck.  Zack de la Rocha- now there's a voice I can't stand.  Which is a shame, because I love Tom Morello's work.

:P I like his voice.

But yeah, Tom Morello is probably the best guitarist I've seen live even though Adam Jones is more technically proficient, but T00L's structure doesn't give him the room to improvise as much.   And Angus Young just does what Angus does.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 10, 2014, 10:36:53 AM
:P I like his voice.

But yeah, Tom Morello is probably the best guitarist I've seen live even though Adam Jones is more technically proficient, but T00L's structure doesn't give him the room to improvise as much.   And Angus Young just does what Angus does.

Believe it or not, guitarists usually consider the opposite to be true.  Adam Jones isn't that technically proficient; he just picks stuff up really quickly.  He used to be pretty terrible about telling guitarists just getting started not to take lessons, because he didn't, so that clearly meant guitar lessons weren't worth it.  Morello's bag of tricks is a little smaller, but he's got a really clearly-defined style, while I'd argue that more often than not, Jones tends to follow Danny Carey's lead.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Seedy is more of a Dragonforce fan.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on December 10, 2014, 03:48:06 AM

The River is one of my favorite songs that I never listen to, because it makes me want to go play real-life Frogger at the nearest available highway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Springsteen sucks.

But I do like the River.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive