News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libertarians and states' rights

Started by Martinus, December 05, 2014, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

In LaCroix' defense, though, knowing the U.S. Constitution is only important if you're one of the comparatively few people who deal with constitutional issues that don't involve criminal law, or an actual criminal attorney (in which case you have to know a few things deeply).  Otherwise, con law is a total wank, could be learned more quickly from Wikipedia, and should be replaced with classes that teach you how to write complaints and answers.  Because such is not, in fact, required--and in fact is hard to get, even if you recognize the deficiency and want to learn those skills.

Whereas reading a novella about abortion written in the form of a judicial opinion is apparently crucial even though, the closest you'll ever get to arguing a case about abortion is when you marshal all your persuasive skills to pressure your girlfriend into getting one because you can't afford a child.  After all, it would only recapitulate your own genetic failure anyway.  LAW SCHOOL MORE LIKE LOL SKOOL AMIRITE
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on December 05, 2014, 03:17:07 PM
It's a funny aspect of libertarianism. They all seem to believe in the rule of the strong and the powerful, with no protection for the weak, apparently imagining themselves among the former. Yet I have never met a libertarian who was not at best mediocre.
I agree. I always think this when people talk about how they think they could manage their pension funds better and just want to be able to invest. I don't think I could. I'm almost certain I'd fuck it up. That sounds like a full-time job to me and chances are I'd somehow inadvertantly end up with my entire pension invested in Greek start-ups.

And it's a bit like their attitudes to drugs. I entirely agree that if the world was made up of libertarians who, at the risk of generalising, are slightly geeky white, middle class men then chances are there wouldn't be a drug problem at all. But the difference between the crooked timber of humanity and the libertarian (or the communist - another often slightly geeky guy) image of the world is immense. We're better trying to follow warp of us as we are.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Yeah, but communism has the advantage of embracing a state strong enough to pound people into the desired shape.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 05, 2014, 05:51:23 PM
Because the rule of law is a restriction on the state, obviously. You're suggesting that a thing is stronger when it is restricted. I don't really know what to say about that.

Because rule of law per se is not a restriction on the state, it is a restriction on the individual human beings who are officers of the state.

State "strength" is not really properly measured by theoretical authority in any case.  A strong state is one that can make its enactments effective - i.e. a state that is capable of collecting the taxes that it levies and is effective in carrying out the laws and directives that it promulgates. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

A strong state is best represented by its placement on the Centralization slider.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2014, 05:24:19 PM
A strong state is best represented by its placement on the Centralization slider.

Not the size of its air force?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Air forces are great, but it's really the size and accuracy of its SSBN fleet these days. I like to think the spirit of the air force lives on in those mighty hulls.
Kinemalogue