N. Korea hacks Sony in revenge for Seth Rogen's film "The Interview"

Started by jimmy olsen, December 04, 2014, 03:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2014, 02:01:36 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 24, 2014, 01:59:01 PM
So it seems it was the most elaborate advertising of all time then :p

I don't understand this line of reasoning.
The film would have flown under the radar otherwise.
Now it is the film North Korea didn't want you to see.  A super controversial movie.
I bet a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise have watched it will now.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on December 25, 2014, 04:14:51 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2014, 02:01:36 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 24, 2014, 01:59:01 PM
So it seems it was the most elaborate advertising of all time then :p

I don't understand this line of reasoning.
The film would have flown under the radar otherwise.
Now it is the film North Korea didn't want you to see.  A super controversial movie.
I bet a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise have watched it will now.

I don't think you can call it advertising when it would've been far better for Sony had they not been hacked.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

It's always been good business for a company to reveal the social security numbers of their employees.  Or make terrorist threats to the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

celedhring

They are releasing the movie in only 300 theaters, instead of 2500 like they planned before the whole fracas. They are rushing the VOD release; it's a definite net loss for them.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on December 25, 2014, 05:52:12 AM
It's always been good business for a company to reveal the social security numbers of their employees.  Or make terrorist threats to the US.

Yeah, this is my problem with the "viral marketing" theory.  The company's not so stupid it's going to expose itself to massive criminal liability in the process, let alone have itself linked with terrorism in a country that's so touchy already about terrorism.
Experience bij!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: celedhring on December 24, 2014, 02:23:40 PM
The fact he used a ":p" made it apparent it was a tongue in cheek commentary, imho, I don't think Tyr literally believes Sony has orchestrated all this. I just don't think this publicity has helped the film at all.

His follow-up posts, however, strongly suggest otherwise.  Not so much "tongue in cheek" as "head up ass".

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on December 25, 2014, 10:46:52 AM
The fact he used a ":p" made it apparent it was a tongue in cheek commentary, imho, I don't think Tyr literally believes Sony has orchestrated all this. I just don't think this publicity has helped the film at all.

His follow-up posts, however, strongly suggest otherwise.  Not so much "tongue in cheek" as "head up ass".

He makes all sorts of absurd statements.  I can't tell if he's kidding or not anymore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Brazen

So a bunch of charmless hackers called Lizard Squad, not content with helping NK hack Sony, have carried out massive DDOS attacks on PlayStation and XBox server, ruining Christmas like modern day Oliver Cromwells  :mad:

Josquius

So that's why I can't get onto iplayer to watch dr who :(

Quote from: Razgovory on December 25, 2014, 03:24:05 PM
Quote from: dps on December 25, 2014, 10:46:52 AM

He makes all sorts of absurd statements.  I can't tell if he's kidding or not anymore.
Here's a clue- if it is ridiculous, contradicts something I've said earlier in the thread, and is even marked by a smiley, then you must be a moron to take it at face value.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

The smiley didn't really show up, I think you used a lower case "p" and the board didn't register it.  And you say ridiculous things earnestly all the time.

Razgovory

Quote from: Brazen on December 25, 2014, 03:51:50 PM
So a bunch of charmless hackers called Lizard Squad, not content with helping NK hack Sony, have carried out massive DDOS attacks on PlayStation and XBox server, ruining Christmas like modern day Oliver Cromwells  :mad:

I'm against the death penalty in principle, but not against hackers who are subhuman scum.  Crazed basement dwelling scum, oh how I hate them.

celedhring

Anyway, early reports say that The Interview grossed 1m on opening day, which is pretty unspectacular even with so few screens.

Darth Wagtaros

It was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.  I hated every second of watching it. I wish the North Koreans had erased every extant copy so that it would be forgotten except as a cautionary tale about the suck factor of Sony's security measures.
PDH!