N. Korea hacks Sony in revenge for Seth Rogen's film "The Interview"

Started by jimmy olsen, December 04, 2014, 03:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2014, 02:13:38 AM
Quote from: sbr on December 19, 2014, 11:00:11 PM
If we know NK was responsible, would it matter if they did it in-house or subcontracted it out?

In terms of legality, I would expect not.  In terms of political theater, probably yeah.  You arrest the flunky and you can spin it like you've wielded your mailed fist against the wrongdoer.

I don't think there is a lot of political capital is attacking South Korea or Japan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I'm looking forward to pirate DVDs of the film making their way into NK. They have to release it :(
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

"Maybe we should do something, too.  Get me: Human Resources!"

QuoteSenior Manager, Content Security - Worldwide Tech Ops (4525) Los Angeles, California

This position will be responsible for managing various processes in the implementation and operations of Paramount's Content Security efforts.

Responsibilities to include, but not limited to:
*Partner with all groups within the Studio to implement, review, and assess compliance with established content security policies
*Work as a subject matter expert with internal and external partners to improve security processes and compliance
*Lead vendor assessments including physical security, digital security, management systems and related processes
*Support and/or manage all aspects of the assessment lifecycle, including planning, fieldwork, reporting and archiving
*Evaluate and test business processes and controls and identify areas of risk
*Apply current knowledge of IT trends and systems processes to identify security and risk management issues and opportunities for improvement
*Liaise with vendors and internal partners to report and remediate risks
*Conduct assessments of internal departments handling content to ensure the proper security controls and procedures are in place
*Develop and enforce implementation of project-specific content security solutions to meet production and workflow needs of each film
*Enable the implementation and enforcement of Paramount security policies through escalation to appropriate management and tracking of outcomes and timelines
*Identify, review and document potential future-use security products, architectures and technologies
*Provide guidance and training to Paramount staff and third parties to increase their knowledge and awareness of Paramount's content security requirements
*Function as an integral member of Paramount Content Protection team comprised of Legal, Technology, and Operations
*Occasionally work non-standard shifts and/or on-call to support the requirements of the organization

KRonn

NK govt. is demanding a joint investigation with the US into the hacking. Lol, I wonder if OJ Simpson will be able to assist with that?

And supposedly the US is asking China to assist in preventing this kind of attack. Not sure if that's true but China has labeled this attack as inexcusable. Another Lol as China is the lead nation in hacking the US.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on December 22, 2014, 02:50:43 PM
And supposedly the US is asking China to assist in preventing this kind of attack.

It's more along the lines of asking China's help to tell the North Koreans to knock the shit off, as usual.

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2014, 02:52:50 PM
Do you mean Dennis Rodman?

I meant OJ as when he was going to find out who killed his wife.

But Rodman is another good possibility to add credence to the investigation.   ;)

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 22, 2014, 02:54:39 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 22, 2014, 02:50:43 PM
And supposedly the US is asking China to assist in preventing this kind of attack.

It's more along the lines of asking China's help to tell the North Koreans to knock the shit off, as usual.

Yep, as usual. And I still find that odd given that I assume the Norks had a lot of Chinese help and even facilities and equipment to do the hacking.

Caliga

When I was in LA the last time I was thinking of swinging by OJ's old house but then I forgot.  I found out later someone bought the lot and then tore his house down. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Wacky

QuoteMy students were shockingly unaware of the outside world, which was a sad result of the regime's maniacal control of all information, both in and out of the country. Though most of my students were computer majors, they did not know the Internet existed, and I wasn't allowed to tell them. The North Korean hacking army, which is rumored to be a specialized government unit trained in China, is like mercenary soldiers that stand apart from the rest of the country's citizens who remain ignorant of any technological developments.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2014/12/north_korea_s_propaganda_victory_from_the_sony_hack_pyongyang_could_not.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 22, 2014, 08:24:51 PM
Wacky

QuoteMy students were shockingly unaware of the outside world, which was a sad result of the regime's maniacal control of all information, both in and out of the country. Though most of my students were computer majors, they did not know the Internet existed, and I wasn't allowed to tell them. The North Korean hacking army, which is rumored to be a specialized government unit trained in China, is like mercenary soldiers that stand apart from the rest of the country's citizens who remain ignorant of any technological developments.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2014/12/north_korea_s_propaganda_victory_from_the_sony_hack_pyongyang_could_not.html

Tim you should feel bad posting articles that bad on here. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 22, 2014, 09:30:41 PM
Wacky

Yeah, it's wacky when an article starts off with a person going on about how important they are that they might have been targeted by North Korea.  I guess that's a better opener then "I would have written this last week, but I had to call tech support because for some unknown reason everything I typed was in capital letters."  And then end it musing perhaps this is related to a pointless vote in the UN that nobody care about because it has no legal teeth and is going to be blocked by Russians and Chinese anyway.  Wacky.

Monoriu

I hope Sony screens this movie in theatres, and the Americans watch this in droves.  Just to spite North Korea.