N. Korea hacks Sony in revenge for Seth Rogen's film "The Interview"

Started by jimmy olsen, December 04, 2014, 03:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

The ironic thing about the Red Dawn remake was that they changed the villains from Chinese to North Korean.  But given that the North Koreans had somehow pulled off invading the US and wreaking a certain level of havoc, I guess the Norks weren't quite so bothered with it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2014, 01:12:08 PM
FBI is now saying no doubt it was NK.

Yep, according to the FBI, the NK had a turncoat American do it for them.  Some guy named Richard Jewell.

Admiral Yi

I couldn't see how they could have done it in-house.  Only 50 people in the country have even been on the internet.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 19, 2014, 08:25:16 PM
I couldn't see how they could have done it in-house.  Only 50 people in the country have even been on the internet.

Would it matter if they did it in-house or subcontracted it out?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on December 19, 2014, 10:57:09 PM

Would it matter if they did it in-house or subcontracted it out?

Gotta follow the trail.

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 19, 2014, 10:58:03 PM
Quote from: sbr on December 19, 2014, 10:57:09 PM

Gotta follow the trail.

If we know NK was responsible, would it matter if they did it in-house or subcontracted it out?

Tonitrus

Depends on who they subcontracted out to.  The more to blame, the merrier.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on December 19, 2014, 11:00:11 PM
If we know NK was responsible, would it matter if they did it in-house or subcontracted it out?

Sure;  there are legal and judicial acts we could take against third parties in, say, Singapore or wherever that we couldn't with NK.

Razgovory

Not a lot of ISPs in North Korea.  I imagine they did in some third country without that third country even knowing.  Hell, they could have been operating in the US.  It was pretty fucking obvious who it was.  What hacker group would call themselves "Guardians of Peace"?  Typical clueless commie bullshit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on December 19, 2014, 03:02:00 PM
The ironic thing about the Red Dawn remake was that they changed the villains from Chinese to North Korean.  But given that the North Koreans had somehow pulled off invading the US and wreaking a certain level of havoc, I guess the Norks weren't quite so bothered with it.

In the future the foreign market conscious exec will require the villains be Ruritanians.

Martinus

Now that you can pay for a character boost in WoW, I guess there are many Korean WoW farmers out of work.

Kekekekeke.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: sbr on December 19, 2014, 11:00:11 PM

In terms of legality, I would expect not.  In terms of political theater, probably yeah.  You arrest the flunky and you can spin it like you've wielded your mailed fist against the wrongdoer.