N. Korea hacks Sony in revenge for Seth Rogen's film "The Interview"

Started by jimmy olsen, December 04, 2014, 03:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: KRonn on December 18, 2014, 09:25:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2014, 04:23:23 PM

QuoteThe attack that officials fear is an all out hit on the electrical grid that could bring down regions of the nation for weeks or a lot longer, for months. One report talked about the hidden hacks they found that would cause generators to burn out, needing to be replaced. There aren't necessarily a lot of spare generators sitting ready. And our main supplier is probably China, who may commit the attacks in the first place.  :huh:

Yes, I seem to recall that stuff being mentioned during all those DHS briefings and disaster recovery tabletops I participated in while working in corporate security for a power company.  But thanks for refreshing my memory.

Yeah, I figured that was nothing new to many people but I wanted to mention/remind us all of it since some of the scenarios are so damn scary and destructive. And quite possible to pull off, apparently.

Long story short, everything can be sabotaged.  Unless you're turning the crank yourself, there'll be some more or less likely way to remotely cut it off.  And if you are turning the crank, they can always try social engineering to convince you to stop turning the crank.
Experience bij!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

That's good.  I mean, it's actually kind of a big deal.  I know no one was hurt (physically) but we are talking eight or nine figures of damage.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2014, 09:55:30 PM
QuoteTexas Theater to Show 'Team America' In Place of 'The Interview'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/texas-theater-show-team-america-759037

The Alamo Drafthouse movie theater in Dallas, Texas, will be showing Team America: World Police in place of The Interview on Dec. 27 at 7 p.m. Wallace says that the Dallas/Fort Worth location is the only location as of now that is planning to screen the replacement film.

In a note on its website, the theater added: "THAT is how true American heroes will be celebrating this year, but if you want to let the terrorists win...well, that's your prerogative."

Paramount stopped them from doing the screening (along with several other theaters).

Siege

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 19, 2014, 12:11:55 AM
Quote from: KRonn on December 18, 2014, 09:25:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2014, 04:23:23 PM

QuoteThe attack that officials fear is an all out hit on the electrical grid that could bring down regions of the nation for weeks or a lot longer, for months. One report talked about the hidden hacks they found that would cause generators to burn out, needing to be replaced. There aren't necessarily a lot of spare generators sitting ready. And our main supplier is probably China, who may commit the attacks in the first place.  :huh:

Yes, I seem to recall that stuff being mentioned during all those DHS briefings and disaster recovery tabletops I participated in while working in corporate security for a power company.  But thanks for refreshing my memory.

Yeah, I figured that was nothing new to many people but I wanted to mention/remind us all of it since some of the scenarios are so damn scary and destructive. And quite possible to pull off, apparently.

Long story short, everything can be sabotaged.  Unless you're turning the crank yourself, there'll be some more or less likely way to remotely cut it off.  And if you are turning the crank, they can always try social engineering to convince you to stop turning the crank.

Something like this would definitively stop the Technological Singularity.
We a strong AI fast,  so she can take care of all these hackers. Incredible that some fat kid in a basement can potentially become the biggest killer in human history.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

lustindarkness

Quote from: frunk on December 19, 2014, 03:24:55 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2014, 09:55:30 PM
QuoteTexas Theater to Show 'Team America' In Place of 'The Interview'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/texas-theater-show-team-america-759037

The Alamo Drafthouse movie theater in Dallas, Texas, will be showing Team America: World Police in place of The Interview on Dec. 27 at 7 p.m. Wallace says that the Dallas/Fort Worth location is the only location as of now that is planning to screen the replacement film.

In a note on its website, the theater added: "THAT is how true American heroes will be celebrating this year, but if you want to let the terrorists win...well, that's your prerogative."

Paramount stopped them from doing the screening (along with several other theaters).

:(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on December 19, 2014, 12:12:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 19, 2014, 11:37:24 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 19, 2014, 12:47:06 AM
Django Unchained or Ride Along?

An Ayn Rand movie.

I'm thinking about setting aside a pain day to watch the Atlas trilogy.

Why? Even if you dug the philosophy, the films look tremendously awful.

Ideologue

Because they exist, and it's important to watch terrible films too. Arguably.
Kinemalogue

derspiess

Obama is using the Sony-Nork thing as an excuse to call for more internet regulation.

http://gizmodo.com/obama-sony-made-a-mistake-pulling-the-interview-1673268761

This surely gave Seedy a cybersecurity boner.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

New Regency's canceled Gore Verbinski and Steve Carrell's adaptation of Pyongyang. <_<
Kinemalogue