News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

China Bans Puns

Started by Sheilbh, November 29, 2014, 05:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I don't want to seem like the bull in the shop, but this is really dishing it out to pun lovers, making them take it on the chin.  Perhaps not everyone thinks that puns are the cat's mao. But there are more troubling proclivities out there: drinking tang, or obsessing over whether Han shot first for example.  Even those more conventional people who prefer wine, women, and Song should beware - one day the zhou may be on the other foot.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Norgy

Thank you for these puns of freedom.  :hug:

Viking

Given the number of homonyms in chinese puns are easy to make, especially political ones. It's a language made for animal farm style parodies. If you have a hundred different words that can be expressed well enough in english with "shi" I'm sure you can use the "thing called shi" to represent the "politician called shi" or the "idea called shi" or "the policy called shi".

It's way of being politically subversive while being unclear about if you actually are being politically subversive. Though, on the whole if your police scum can get you for using a pun they could probably do it for being subversive before hand. it feels pretty meaningless on the whole.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Brazen

Apparently 10 popular puns were put to the board to see if any would pass muster. But no pun in ten did.

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on December 01, 2014, 08:06:12 AM
Apparently 10 popular puns were put to the board to see if any would pass muster. But no pun in ten did.

This I like a lot.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on December 01, 2014, 07:01:16 AM
It's way of being politically subversive while being unclear about if you actually are being politically subversive. Though, on the whole if your police scum can get you for using a pun they could probably do it for being subversive before hand. it feels pretty meaningless on the whole.
Alas, yes. But a good start.
Let's bomb Russia!

Siege

This is the punification of the chinese culture.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Brazen on December 01, 2014, 08:06:12 AM

:worthy:

Barrister

Someone needs to go all PLA on this thread. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

said BB, his lips curling in disgust.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

The punishment should fit the crime.

Jacob