News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anders Breivic, Three Years On

Started by Queequeg, November 29, 2014, 11:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on December 02, 2014, 10:31:42 AM
I think it is pretty well archaic now. It sounds like something you would hear in a Blaxploitation remake, to sound "period". Like, these really uncool Whitey cats were hassling Shaft, calling him a "spade" and all ...  ;)

Anyway, I don't think anyone is likely to take racial offence at using the phrase "calling a spade a spade" these days.

And of course Keenan Ivory Wayans's lead character in "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" was named Jack Spade.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 01, 2014, 05:51:54 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2014, 05:40:04 PM
I prefer the more PC version: call a jigaboo a jigaboo.

MOON CRICKETS

That one was always my favorite.

Although I did hear a sergeant come over the radio once in the middle of a confused foot chase, and say "now wait a cotton-pickin' minute".  The radio silence was deafening.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 02, 2014, 12:39:25 PM
The W word? :unsure:

I'm guessing "wog".

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 02, 2014, 12:51:26 PM
Although I did hear a sergeant come over the radio once in the middle of a confused foot chase, and say "now wait a cotton-pickin' minute".  The radio silence was deafening.

I didn't know that had racist connotations. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 02, 2014, 01:20:37 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 02, 2014, 12:51:26 PM

I didn't know that had racist connotations.

WHO PICKS COTTON?  WHITE PEOPLE, THAT'S WHO

derspiess

CountDeMoney

Save it for the rally, States' Rights.

Richard Hakluyt

I used to use that phrase back in the 60s, picked it up from watching Deputy Dawg, luckily nobody in London or Celle seemed to mind  :hmm:

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2014, 02:21:48 AM.  I am impressed how the media manages to enrage everybody equally.

It must be a conspiracy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on December 02, 2014, 02:00:40 PM
The racism of "cottin-picking" seems up for debate:

http://open.salon.com/blog/heather_michon/2010/08/31/wait_one_cotton-picking_minute

Only in the sense that it can be misconstrued as something racist.  Using it in conjunction with a person who happens to be black is cringe-worthy though, and you're just asking for faux-outrage.

Tonitrus