And we're back!

Main Menu

Anders Breivic, Three Years On

Started by Queequeg, November 29, 2014, 11:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on December 01, 2014, 04:15:32 PM
We discussed leaf raking the other day.

My discussions on leaf raking to date have been neighbors complaining that I haven't done it.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

garbon, you seem to think freakiness is a bad thing. I do not share this view - just calling spade a spade.

Martinus

Malthus, it's funny - some of the most not only conservative, but outright reactionary couples I met were this gay men couple I used to know.

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 01, 2014, 04:43:08 PM

My discussions on leaf raking to date have been neighbors complaining that I haven't done it.  :lol:

Malthus was using a euphemism, you really don't want to know what it involves.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

You need to get on that.  It's December already for crying out loud. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on December 01, 2014, 04:53:33 PM

You need to get on that.  It's December already for crying out loud.

Conform mulch?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2014, 04:43:59 PM
garbon, you seem to think freakiness is a bad thing. I do not share this view - just calling spade a spade.

Okay, gotcha. Well no, freak is not a neutral term.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on December 01, 2014, 04:46:33 PM

Malthus was using a euphemism, you really don't want to know what it involves.  :(

We also discussed gutter cleaning.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Question for the masses - is the phrase "calling a spade a spade" really appropriate these days?

Some quick googling suggests that:

A. The phrase pre-dates any racial connotations by centuries; but
B. the use of the word "spade" as a slur for blacks goes back to the 1920s and is now pretty firmly established as well

:hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on December 01, 2014, 04:56:03 PM
Conform mulch?

:D

I'm just not a fan of other peoples' leaves blowing into my lawn.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2014, 05:08:13 PM
Question for the masses - is the phrase "calling a spade a spade" really appropriate these days?

B. the use of the word "spade" as a slur for blacks goes back to the 1920s and is now pretty firmly established as well

I avoid using it in situations where some goofball might decide to take it the wrong way.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on December 01, 2014, 04:58:26 PM

Okay, gotcha. Well no, freak is not a neutral term.

It is not but I don't use it negatively. Just as I am happy to call myself a "faggot" in some circumstances.

Martinus

Interesting. I didn't know it. I saw it used in serious publications such as the Economist, I believe, so don't think it is considered offensive. So I will continue using it, but then I try not to be niggardly with my verbiage.

Sheilbh

Interesting. That must be a North American thing I had no idea 'spade' had any racial connotations at all.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 01, 2014, 05:27:27 PM

Interesting. That must be a North American thing I had no idea 'spade' had any racial connotations at all.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.