News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Labor Pains Megathread

Started by Tamas, November 26, 2014, 10:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on November 30, 2014, 11:45:42 AM
Free market with no restrictions inevitably leads to a monopoly - which is the very antithesis of freedom of choice.

This is the opposite of the truth.  Free markets without restriction lead to intellectual stagnation, because one cannot use one's own ideas to establish market advantage.  Free markets without restrictions are too easy for competitors to enter using stolen ideas/advantages.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2014, 11:43:23 AM
QuoteIts not so voluntary when the only other choice is unemployment and starvation.

Dude, you're not getting it.  You don't have to apply for a low-paying job because you don't have one, and you don't have to accept a job offer for the only job you can get.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that there is only one sweat shop in Vietnam (which there obviously isn't) and that the alternative to accepting whatever that sweat shop is offering is starvation (which obviously it is not); given all that, how do the conditions of all the prospective Vietnamese sweat shop workers improve if we close that one sweat shop in outrage?

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on November 30, 2014, 12:34:48 PM
Free market with no restrictions inevitably leads to a monopoly - which is the very antithesis of freedom of choice.

This is the opposite of the truth.  Free markets without restriction lead to intellectual stagnation, because one cannot use one's own ideas to establish market advantage.  Free markets without restrictions are too easy for competitors to enter using stolen ideas/advantages.

This is clearly proven by the EU where there are more regulations than in the US, and as a result it is the home of successful startup companies and groundbreaking innovations, in stark contrast of the less regulated United States.

Martinus

Uhm no.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on November 30, 2014, 02:13:17 PM

Uhm no.

:lol:  What a persuasive argument!

Stick to being a faux lawyer.  Your understanding of economics is even less than your understanding of law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on November 30, 2014, 02:13:17 PM

Uhm no.

Great.  Now Grumbler is an economist in addition to being a lawyer, admiral, doctor, scientist, and cowboy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2014, 04:28:06 AM
The honeymoon is over.  :lol:

I get angry in the mornings. Especially on my birthday. :P

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on November 30, 2014, 04:40:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2014, 04:28:06 AM
The honeymoon is over.  :lol:

I get angry in the mornings. Especially on my birthday. :P
I know how that feels.  We all get angry on your birthday.

Ed Anger

Holy crap, 37? What is that in Homo, 80?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Tamas

Hungary is now planning banning work on Sundays :w00t:

First step, they will ban it for supermarkets which are bigger than the shops the pro-Fidesz supermarket chain owners has. Then supposedly will be extended to most of all jobs.

I wonder how that will effect my ex colleagues giving 24/7 remote IT support.

But at least Hungary will become a safe haven for those fleeing from slavery.

Tamas

Just to be clear, if the government will be retarded enough to prevent 24/7 IT services, the companies doing that over there (employing thousands of people) will just shift over to India, as they have contractual obligations to their customers.