News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Erdogan: Women are not equal to men

Started by Savonarola, November 24, 2014, 01:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 11:32:09 AM
Building a giant Versailles palace against the wishes of the Court and starting to say how America was discovered by Muslims seems rather gold statues in sun-ish to me.
Putin's built several multi-million palaces - though he's discreet about them - and it's something every Middle Eastern autocrat does. It's standard behaviour for a budding dictator. It's also a very easy way to reward lots of your loyal allies and friends, given how much that Palace cost there's a lot of construction contracts up for grabs.

As I say when he renames bread after his mother we can talk about him losing touch with reality. As it is he's just a very 21st century dictator.

QuoteUm...the Kurds?  But yeah things can certainly get worse.
Ironically Erdogan's cut a lot of deals with the Kurds. Basically they're the parties who got him over the supermajority needed to change the constitution so he could become President.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 11:33:18 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2014, 11:25:16 AM
They haven't started fighting in Cyrpus and the streets aren't filled with dead, so I would say there is a lot of south remaining to go.

Um...the Kurds?  But yeah things can certainly get worse.

:huh:  The Kurds?  What about them?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Brazen

Quote from: Savonarola on November 24, 2014, 01:47:31 PM
Yes, yes, but can he wrestle a bear?
"You cannot put women and men on an equal footing," he told a meeting in Istanbul. "It is against nature."
I was at a press event for some rapidly deployable frontline comms kit today. NATO changed the spec half-way through from "1-2 man lift" to "1-2 person lift" which apparently cased a massive redesign headache.

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2014, 11:33:56 AM
Yeah, it seems to me Erdogan's Turkey is another example of the illiberal democracies that have been rising as of late.  Right wing, authoritarian, and maintaining the facade of liberal democracy.  Erdogan is of course Muslim, so that that drives a lot people crazy.

So basically, he's the Obama of Turkey?

Viking

He's lashed out against birth by Caesarean section?   :huh:

Anyhow was Erdogan always this kooky, and the Western media is only now starting to report this; or is this a new, vibrant direction for the Turkish leader?

He always was this kooky, only now he's fully surrounded by yes men and doesn't have the good sense keep his mouth shut.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on November 25, 2014, 12:17:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2014, 11:33:56 AM
Yeah, it seems to me Erdogan's Turkey is another example of the illiberal democracies that have been rising as of late.  Right wing, authoritarian, and maintaining the facade of liberal democracy.  Erdogan is of course Muslim, so that that drives a lot people crazy.

So basically, he's the Obama of Turkey?

Well he's not the antichrist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on November 25, 2014, 12:29:21 PM

He's lashed out against birth by Caesarean section?   :huh:

Anyhow was Erdogan always this kooky, and the Western media is only now starting to report this; or is this a new, vibrant direction for the Turkish leader?

He always was this kooky, only now he's fully surrounded by yes men and doesn't have the good sense keep his mouth shut.

ENOUGH ABOUT OBAMA
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

The authoritarian illiberalism of Erdogan may be separable from his Islamism.  But there are both real and both problems.  Turkey may not be a theocracy (other than Iran - what is?) but it has made steps towards mixing religious values and law into the state.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 25, 2014, 12:40:02 PM
The authoritarian illiberalism of Erdogan may be separable from his Islamism.  But there are both real and both problems.  Turkey may not be a theocracy (other than Iran - what is?) but it has made steps towards mixing religious values and law into the state.

The argument last year was that Erdogan was a theocrat and authoritarian regime would be desirable to prevent him from installing theocracy.  As Erdogan's authoritarianism is being used to stymie more religious elements everyone should be happy.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2014, 11:38:36 AM

Were the Turks not standing by why ISIS attacked Kurdish Civilians?  Were they not stopping Kurds from going to reinforce them?  Were we not just recently comparing Turkish actions to how Stalin acted towards the Poles?  When that comparison is made things are probably not going well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Well that and it was one of the big shining lights that Islam is compatible with a modern state.  Erdogan was supposed to show it was also compatible with a Democratic one.  Granted it was not the only big shining light but it is a pretty big blow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 01:01:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2014, 11:38:36 AM

Were the Turks not standing by why ISIS attacked Kurdish Civilians?  Were they not stopping Kurds from going to reinforce them?  Were we not just recently comparing Turkish actions to how Stalin acted towards the Poles?  When that comparison is made things are probably not going well.

You can make all sorts of comparisons to what you want.  The US is not keen on individuals going to Syria.  That doesn't make us like Stalin.  I'm fairly certain that unlike Stalin Turkey isn't planning to conquer Iraq. Erdogan has been pretty popular with the Kurds in Turkey ( No idea about the ones in Syria, Iraq, and Iran they don't get to vote for him).

Zanza

Turkey may not be a theocracy (other than Iran - what is?) but it has made steps towards mixing religious values and law into the state.
Saudi Arabia could perhaps be called a theocracy, at least more than Turkey. Their king calls himself custodian of the two holy mosques and Wahabbism has an extremely strong influence on all areas of policy.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2014, 01:14:26 PM
You can make all sorts of comparisons to what you want.  The US is not keen on individuals going to Syria.  That doesn't make us like Stalin.  I'm fairly certain that unlike Stalin Turkey isn't planning to conquer Iraq. Erdogan has been pretty popular with the Kurds in Turkey ( No idea about the ones in Syria, Iraq, and Iran they don't get to vote for him).

I never made those comparisons.  I simply noted people did.  But thank you for the permission.  I notice you use 'pretty popular with the Kurds' in the past tense there.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on November 25, 2014, 01:23:47 PM
Saudi Arabia could perhaps be called a theocracy, at least more than Turkey.

If that ever is not true you know Turkey is pretty much a lost cause.  Saudi Arabia hopefully will always remain the extreme.