Bill Cosby sex abuse scandal

Started by Caliga, November 24, 2014, 01:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

No thread on this one yet?  :huh:

[Tim]Monstrous.[/Tim]
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Women everywhere need to learn to say no and leave. Not just say no & then suffer in silence.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 24, 2014, 01:13:45 PM
Women everywhere need to learn to say no and leave. Not just say no & then suffer in silence.

Umm, most of the allegations are that he drugged them.  So "saying no and leaving" wasn't much of an option.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Damn, thought thread title was a joke.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Of course, Whoopi wasn't sure if this was rape-rape or not.  I wonder what her issue is with going easy on rapists... she did the same thing with Polanski. :hmm:

Having said that, I agree with her generally that it's a bit early to lynch Cosby, but I wonder why she always takes that position?  Just to be contrarian/get publicity?

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 24, 2014, 01:19:39 PM
uhhhhhh no.  If this stuff is true he's in serious trouble. :(

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on November 24, 2014, 01:21:13 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 24, 2014, 01:19:39 PM
uhhhhhh no.  If this stuff is true he's in serious trouble. :(

Well unlikely.  These are all very dated allegations.  I think the most recent I've seen was late 90s.  Seems unlikely he's going to be charged.

The most serious trouble he's in is that NBC cancelled his recent pilot, and Netflix has cancelled a comedy show they were going to 'broadcast'.

Caliga

Whether or not he gets charged, his life/career could be destroyed. :mellow:

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2014, 01:22:56 PM
Well unlikely.  These are all very dated allegations.  I think the most recent I've seen was late 90s.  Seems unlikely he's going to be charged.

The most serious trouble he's in is that NBC cancelled his recent pilot, and Netflix has cancelled a comedy show they were going to 'broadcast'.

There's also the trouble of his memory being tarnished.  That's kind of a big deal.

I loved I Spy, his stand-up, Fat Albert, The Cosby Show, etc. and it would be horrible to think the man turned out to be a serial rapist.  My reaction thus far has been to try and not think about it and/or hope it's not true.  Which is pretty much what I did in the early days of the OJ saga :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Should have kept his pudding pop to himself.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on November 24, 2014, 01:28:31 PM
Whether or not he gets charged, his life/career could be destroyed. :mellow:

Dude is 77 years old.  His career is basically over at this point anyways.

Caliga

He still performs standup and apparently has (had?) a new TV show in the works.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on November 24, 2014, 01:46:12 PM
He still performs standup and apparently has (had?) a new TV show in the works.

Yeah his new show has been thrown into the trash bin now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

He's had a standing gig at Harvey's at Lake Tahoe for a long time. I was under the impression he had an ownership stake there. Those kinds of contracts sometimes have clauses in them for things like this though.

I'm sure future work will be pretty dry. He's probably comfortable. Unless Camilla leaves him and he gets raped through the divorce courts. But she'd not been inclined that way when the past events happened.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers