News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Been thinking of putting together some LP videos...

Started by DontSayBanana, November 20, 2014, 10:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

I've been wanting to break in my new mic and do some audio commentary for some gameplay videos- format would be audio commentary only, and since I don't yet have a capture card that could get high-def input from my Xbox, limited to PC games.  Would you guys have any interest in seeing videos of any of these?

Quote from: Steam LibraryAudiosurf
Blockland
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Crusader Kings II
Defiance
Descent: Freespace - The Great War
Disney Epic Mickey 2
Dungeonland
Europa Universalis III
Garry's Mod
Goat Simulator
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate ...
Leviathan: Warships
Magicka
Portal
Portal 2
realMyst
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Scribblenauts Unmasked
Sid Meier's Civilization IV
Sniper Elite V2
Space Engineers
Star Trek Online
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
Terraria
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The LEGO® Movie - Videogame
The Showdown Effect
Thomas Was Alone
Tropico 4
War of the Roses
Warlock - Master of the Arcane

Quote from: GoG Library
TIE Fighter 1994
TIE Fighter 1998
Red Faction
Red Faction II
Full Spectrum Warrior
Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers
The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Tyrian 2000
Dragonsphere
Warsow
Treasure Adventure Game
Beneath a Steel Sky

Experience bij!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2014, 10:59:42 AM
Sorry, I don't watch LP videos. -_-

No prob.  They're not for everyone- I find them to be best when treated as MST3K for gamers (which also gives you an idea what direction my commentary would probably take). :hug:
Experience bij!

Syt

I generally like LPs, but whether or not I watch them depends on several factors:
- how long is each episode? (20-30 minutes is the sweet spot for me)
- how is the commentator? (I'm rather lenient, if I'm interested in a game, and I like folks like quill18, Arumba, Northernlion, but can't stand PewDiePie, and with SplatterCat it depends on the game he's doing)
- am I interested in the game? (duh) I would check them for games I think about buying, so I get a better picture of the gameplay, or for games I'm too lazy to play (or play again ) and for seeing some of it again. I never finished Dead Space, but I enjoyed Jesse Cox' Let's Play a lot.
- How many episodes are there, and how often do they come out? I will watch about one, maybe two web videos a day for a length of up to an hour. Folks like quill18 put out so many videos every day that I often quite an LP after several episodes because I can't keep up

I thought about doing LPs myself, but me be lazy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Doesn't Twitch allow you to stream your video gaming?  Ever try that?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2014, 11:27:46 AM
Doesn't Twitch allow you to stream your video gaming?  Ever try that?

Twitch is really just an alternative platform that's slanted more toward live play.  On one hand, since everybody on Twitch is effectively looking for either a walkthrough, a playthrough, or a LP, the viewer counts tend to be higher.  On the other hand, it's a little harder to keep people engaged without the ability to cut, edit, or rewrite commentary.  Basically, if LP is stand-up comedy, Twitch is an open mic- you'd better be damn good at improv to make anything come out of it.
Experience bij!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

I hate that so much stuff these days is communicated with videos. I would much rather enjoy reading a guide to tanking, for example, than seeing a youtube film.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2014, 11:25:04 AM
I generally like LPs, but whether or not I watch them depends on several factors:
- how long is each episode? (20-30 minutes is the sweet spot for me)
- how is the commentator? (I'm rather lenient, if I'm interested in a game, and I like folks like quill18, Arumba, Northernlion, but can't stand PewDiePie, and with SplatterCat it depends on the game he's doing)
- am I interested in the game? (duh) I would check them for games I think about buying, so I get a better picture of the gameplay, or for games I'm too lazy to play (or play again ) and for seeing some of it again. I never finished Dead Space, but I enjoyed Jesse Cox' Let's Play a lot.
- How many episodes are there, and how often do they come out? I will watch about one, maybe two web videos a day for a length of up to an hour. Folks like quill18 put out so many videos every day that I often quite an LP after several episodes because I can't keep up

I thought about doing LPs myself, but me be lazy.

Have you considered doing a collab with someone on one?  A lot of the more popular LPs I've seen have involved groups of commentators.  Also, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't get PewDiePie- he's got good presence, but he gets so wrapped up in grinding in games that he just completely disengages from the viewer for huge parts of his videos.
Experience bij!

The Brain

You don't get Swedish people who try to be entertaining? :o
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

sbr

Quote from: Martinus on November 20, 2014, 11:40:20 AM
I hate that so much stuff these days is communicated with videos. I would much rather enjoy reading a guide to tanking, for example, than seeing a youtube film.

I can't agree more.  First I prefer to read, and I am not able to retain as much when watching a video.  It is also harder to find my place again when I realize I wasn't paying attention.

Syt

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 20, 2014, 11:47:24 AMHave you considered doing a collab with someone on one? 

Not very good on teamwork when it comes to creative stuff.  :blush:

Also, it would probably be like all my projects: I start, do it for a week or three and then get distracted/bored/lose interest otherwise. :P

Another LPer I enjoy is getdaved - he only puts out a video per day (which can suck if you're not interested in whatever he's playing at the moment), and is rather stoic/slow in his commentary, but it's easy to follow his style. And he occasionally does retro stuff (I found him through his Zelda - Link to the Past LP).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

If you want to go viral, make sure to wear an offensive shirt. :P

Solmyr

I like Gopher's LP videos, he tends to really immerse himself in the game.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2014, 12:42:26 PM
Not very good on teamwork when it comes to creative stuff.  :blush:

Artists.  :rolleyes:

QuoteAlso, it would probably be like all my projects: I start, do it for a week or three and then get distracted/bored/lose interest otherwise. :P

Serious artists.  :rolleyes: