Hardest Places to Live in US - woe be Eastern KY

Started by Syt, November 20, 2014, 09:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Putting the data in a by-county format (and not considering crime at all in the criteria) is going to make rural areas look worse.  The example of Wayne County in the article highlights this.  By the criteria they used, life is hard in the D; but Detroit makes up less than half the population of Wayne County, most of the rest is middle class suburbia.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on November 20, 2014, 11:39:37 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 20, 2014, 11:10:58 AM
Nobody has mocked me yet?  NICE.

Comparing the map of Ma and Ky, damn, but you moved from easy living in Massachusetts to the tough times of Kentucky!   ;)
psst, I live in like the only green area of the state. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on November 20, 2014, 02:55:04 PM
Quote from: KRonn on November 20, 2014, 11:39:37 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 20, 2014, 11:10:58 AM
Nobody has mocked me yet?  NICE.

Comparing the map of Ma and Ky, damn, but you moved from easy living in Massachusetts to the tough times of Kentucky!   ;)
psst, I live in like the only green area of the state. :sleep:

:)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 20, 2014, 01:43:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2014, 01:42:28 PM
Don't deny your Xenianity.

We'll keep the Tudor's Biscuit World. But going there for business... BLECH

What is that, a theme park?  Like Amishland?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2014, 03:16:02 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 20, 2014, 01:43:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2014, 01:42:28 PM
Don't deny your Xenianity.

We'll keep the Tudor's Biscuit World. But going there for business... BLECH

What is that, a theme park?  Like Amishland?

http://www.tudorsbiscuitworld.com/home.aspx

It would be a WV redneck theme park if it were one.  I'm not a huge fan, but Ed and one or two others here love it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

derspiess

CountDeMoney

It's no Perkin's or Cracker Barrel or even Bob Evans, but it looks like it beats Denny's all to shit.  Fuckers microwave their sausage links, come out like petrified poodle shit.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2014, 04:21:51 PM
http://www.tudorsbiscuitworld.com/home.aspx

It would be a WV redneck theme park if it were one.  I'm not a huge fan, but Ed and one or two others here love it.
:yes: :mmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on November 20, 2014, 10:02:22 AM
Wyoming is soft living, I wonder why more people do not move there?

Hell, even the county with Wyoming's indian reservation is only light blue.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Quote from: alfred russel on November 20, 2014, 09:53:59 AM
It seems like the study is measuring the places where people are having trouble living, not necessarily the places that are hardest to live.

Indeed with the applicable data points:

Quoteeducation (percentage of residents with at least a bachelor's degree), median household income, unemployment rate, disability rate, life expectancy and obesity.

...it seems to be more of a map of "where are people's lives sucking the most".  Doesn't mean the geographic location is hard to live in.  If you don't fall at the bottom of any of those data points, you're probably doing just fine in that place.

And I've known a fair number of well-off, happy people who could fall near top of the data points on education and obesity.

Admiral Yi

It's still going to be tough to forage for pussy.