Rethinking Sherman's March: A Kindler, Gentler Total War?

Started by CountDeMoney, November 19, 2014, 10:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2014, 02:20:58 PM
We had the misfortune of having southerns writing our histories.  Sherman, unlike Lee did not kidnap people in the territories he marched through and then sell them into chattel slavery.

In fairness, Northern troops did press escaped slaves ("contraband") into service as laborers when the Northern army went south.  Not quite as bad as enslaving (or re-enslaving) them, but it bears mentioning.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2014, 03:07:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 19, 2014, 02:20:58 PM
We had the misfortune of having southerns writing our histories.  Sherman, unlike Lee did not kidnap people in the territories he marched through and then sell them into chattel slavery.

In fairness, Northern troops did press escaped slaves ("contraband") into service as laborers when the Northern army went south.  Not quite as bad as enslaving (or re-enslaving) them, but it bears mentioning.

Thank you for mentioning that in fairness.  derdixie.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 03:10:15 PM
Thank you for mentioning that in fairness.  derdixie.

:rolleyes: I'm a member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.

I just think some of you let your hatred of all things Southern cloud your judgment sometimes.  Yes, we Yankees were the good guys and the Rebels were the bad guys.  But not everyone on the Southern side was evil.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Kleves

I think we can all agree that, in the end, the main criticism that can be levelled at the March to the Sea was that Sherman didn't kill enough southerners.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Habbaku

Quote from: Kleves on November 19, 2014, 03:43:04 PM
I think we can all agree that, in the end, the main criticism that can be levelled at the March to the Sea was that Sherman didn't kill enough southerners.

2/10.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on November 19, 2014, 04:46:19 PM
Quote from: Kleves on November 19, 2014, 03:43:04 PM

2/10.

That would have been a high enough ratio, but Sherman never approached that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

CountDeMoney

Should've split his column further and made a March to the Rio Grande as well.  Texas goofs.